• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Installing stud-mount letters on stucco

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but do you guys have any pointers for installing Gemini letters w/ studs into stucco?

Letters are 1" thick, 16" high so they'll have a bit of weight to them. (mockup attached)

Any specific drill bits and silicone/adhesive I should try to use?

Should be simple, I just don't handle this type of work myself usually and of course it's on a customer's brand new garage.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• House Numbers.jpg
    House Numbers.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 76

JBurton

Signtologist
Rotary hammer is what the tool tex meant to point you toward. It sits between a hammer drill and a jack hammer.
If you want a good one, hitachi/metabo make a fantastic one, has turn/turn+hammer/hammer only options, great for lining up a hole with hammer only at an angle, swap to hammer+spin, then go to town... can add a vacuum for interior work, it doesn't do much on drywall, but it makes the customer think you are being conscientious of their environment.
Drill:
Vacuum:

Also, bend your studs in opposing directions so you don't need to leave tape and have a return trip to remove the tape.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thanks for the tips guys.

Whole thing took less than an hour and turned out good, customer is happy.

Used my trusty Milwaukie M18 hammer drill and clear silicone.

I guess it was just a thin skimcoat of stucco over plywood so it drilled pretty easily with a masonry bit.

Didn't have to worry about taping numbers up, made the holes a bit too snug and the studs just barely wedged in there, but that's a good tip about bending the studs a bit!

Will definitely invest in a rotary hammer drill if we do more jobs like this down the road, looks like it would be a much better tool for the job.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks for the tips guys.

Whole thing took less than an hour and turned out good, customer is happy.

Used my trusty Milwaukie M18 hammer drill and clear silicone.

I guess it was just a thin skimcoat of stucco over plywood so it drilled pretty easily with a masonry bit.

Didn't have to worry about taping numbers up, made the holes a bit too snug and the studs just barely wedged in there, but that's a good tip about bending the studs a bit!

Will definitely invest in a rotary hammer drill if we do more jobs like this down the road, looks like it would be a much better tool for the job.
If you do them often it is. With the SDS I can hold the drill in positions where I can't put a lot of force on it, and it has the power to get though the concrete. It gives you a large range of working area. With the hammer drill, you have to push on it to work.