• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Installing wall wraps over small patches?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We have a few wall wraps ranging from 3 panels to 14 panels that we were planning on installing this week at a client's facility.

Turns out, when they removed all the obstacles from the wall for us they left a bunch of holes. We had other stuff to do today so in between projects I just hit the holes and damaged areas w/ some light coats of mud.

Tomorrow I'll sand and do another light coat if needed.

Should I be looking at some kind of primer for those areas or just make sure it's dust free and wrap over the sanded mud? There are some small holes that I'm not too concerned about but a couple of larger areas where double sided tape ripped the paint/paper off the drywall. I can get it nice and smooth by sanding it down so it won't show through the wrap, but I'm a bit concerned about how the vinyl (3M 40C) will adhere to any larger areas of mud.

Applying a light coat of primer and waiting 7+ days isn't ideal, but don't want these things to fail. Came across a thread that recommended this product but it isn't super clear how long I'd have to wait to apply vinyl: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Roman-PRO-935-R-35-1-gal-Difficult-Surfaces-Primer-012101/203808818

Anyone run into a scenario like this before?

CanuckSigns

How large of an area are we talking about? If the area is less than a square foot or so, and there aren't too many of them I think you will be fine, just make sure there is no dust left on the surface. Can you try some primer 94 on the sanded mud, never tried it before but it might work.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We just did one like that, used 5 minute mud and went over it the same day, no primer. I had to patch 1 hole 3 times because they kept hitting it with the door before we could even get to the section.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
How large of an area are we talking about? If the area is less than a square foot or so, and there aren't too many of them I think you will be fine, just make sure there is no dust left on the surface. Can you try some primer 94 on the sanded mud, never tried it before but it might work.
Most of the patches are pretty tiny. There is one corner that was really beat up, gonna take a few coats to get it square again. Client said they would put some kind of corner protector on after so I guess I don't have to be super concerned about adhesion on the corner. Not sure how we'll trim the edge clean without digging into all the mud but we'll figure it out. Maybe I'll try a bit of primer 94 along that edge just to ensure it doesn't lift.

Attachments

• 20240306_145957.jpg
    20240306_145957.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We just did one like that, used 5 minute mud and went over it the same day, no primer. I had to patch 1 hole 3 times because they kept hitting it with the door before we could even get to the section.
That's good to know, thanks. Don't think the stuff we're using is 5 minute mud but I'll make sure it has time to fully dry before applying vinyl.

That install sounds like fun, I wonder how beat up that wrap is now after getting smashed by the door every day...!