• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Interesting Read...

WildWestDesigns

I for sure thought that Windows is already down the list of priorities. This just seems to just be the public proclamation of it.

Now, I'm all for cross platform apps, even started doing my own in house ones as well (ironically using Electron which is along the lines of web technologies that it's referencing). I even have them to where they will build on Windows or Mac, just in case for whatever reason I have to go back and swap OSs.

I'm just a little worried for those that are dependent on the Windows platform for programs that don't use those type of technologies and what that means with the less interest in improving the Windows platform.

May be nothing, all just speculation at this point, just something to keep an eye out on.

Attachments

• Interesting.png
    Interesting.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 279

unclebun

The point of that article I would imagine is that Windows 10 is considered a mature product, and the personal computer is in decline. Nobody really even wants the annual updates for Windows 10, much less an "all new" OS. So I would think, given your posting history, that you would welcome an admission by Microsoft that they are going to spend less time working on adding features nobody wanted to Windows. On the other hand, Microsoft has just announced a dual screen 5.7" surface mobile, and given that they abandoned Windows Phone, they are concentrating on Android as their phone OS of choice for integration with the Windows ecosystem. And this would actually be a good thing for the mobile phone landscape. The one thing Windows Phone 10 has going for it is the seamless integration with the Windows desktop and cloud services. If they can get the same kind of seamlessness on Android, they'd have something to take back a lot of lost ground in the mobile space.

WildWestDesigns

The point of that article I would imagine is that Windows 10 is considered a mature product,

If by "mature", you mean by it's age and age alone. I could agree to that. I wouldn't call it a "mature" product otherwise.

and the personal computer is in decline.

For mainstream users, yes, that is true. For prosumer users like us and enterprise users, it'll still be there. It may contract a smidge, but there are some things that while a smaller form factor could be used in the workflow, it wouldn't totally take away from that.

Nobody really even wants the annual updates for Windows 10, much less an "all new" OS. So I would think, given your posting history, that you would welcome an admission by Microsoft that they are going to spend less time working on adding features nobody wanted to Windows.

To me, it's "feature updates", updates in general, particularly patches and security updates, I welcome those. I'm used to weekly updates of those on Linux. The big issue is "feature updates", the ones that they can't seem to get right. Some are less traumatic then others, but traumatic none the less. Oh and "feature updates" are twice a year. We should be gearing up for the second one of the year either at the end of this month or beginning of next month.

I do believe that the old point release of a new OS is better for prosumers and enterprise users.

There are features that Windows has done (some of which have existed in Linux and eventually in Mac (depending on what one is talking about)) lately that people do welcome and good for them bringing it in there. As tech progresses, there are always going to be full fledged features that are needed to be taken advantage of.

Some things are good ideas, it's how they are implemented that makes them a bad idea.

If they can get the same kind of seamlessness on Android, they'd have something to take back a lot of lost ground in the mobile space.

That is true. I do love my KDE Connect. Which this type of integration (google/ms) should be even better if they both allow the other party to have access to lower level code that the KDE project couldn't get access to.