• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Internet Speed Test from the FCC?

Dice

its not that well designed. There is a button that you click to test your speed. You have to enter your address.

The FCC is cracking down on internet providers that lie about their speeds.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
guido.gif
Why do they need my street address to take the test?

G-Artist

There are numerous sites that let you test your speeds. Try them at different times of the day and use many to get an overview/average.

If you have ever dabbled in downloading anything that could be considered illegal or unlawful (music, vids, pirate copies of software, etc.) then beware of that site as it will now link your home addy to your computer addy. Now no Fed needs a court order to link the two.

Here is merely a part of their privacy statement:

Where there is an indication of a violation or potential violation of a statute, regulation, rule, or order, records from this system may be referred to the appropriate Federal, state, or local agency responsible for investigating or prosecuting a violation or for implementing or enforcing the statute, rule, regulation, or order.
A record on an individual in this system of records may be disclosed, where pertinent, in any legal proceeding to which the Commission is a party before a court or administrative body.
A record from this system of records may be disclosed to the Department of Justice or in a proceeding before a court or adjudicative body...

You don't actually have to do anything unlawful...mere suspicision is enough. Even if you are clean, what about employees and family members who access your computer?

Dice

guido.gif
Why do they need my street address to take the test?

So they know where to send the black helicopters.

I know there are a ton of sites to check speeds, but this one is from the FCC. Even if you don't use it, you should know about it.