• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Is it worth saving my Roland ?

adrk

Hello pals,
I have a worn VP-540i from which, according to my Roland technician, the motherboard died, 2 or 3 weeks ago. Since then, it is sitting without automatic cleaning or so.
Given it was a spare and pretty worn device and the fact an used motherboard is around $2000 - for what I could find outside suspect listings on AliExpress -, I wonder if it is worth trying keeping it alive or put it to the trash.
Won't all the ink system be clogged and need to be renewed too (EcoSolMax CMYK) ? Is there a risk of incomptible motherboard (firmware, revision, etc ?). Is it possible to change it myself without needing an outside "official" Roland assistance ? What about wiring and such ?
Thanks !
adrien

damonCA21

Motherboards are easy to change, there is no soldering, the wires are either push fit flat cables or clip in ones. You can easily do it in less than an hour with just a screwdriver. They are all the same so no need to worry about firmware. If it has been a couple of weeks without use though the heads may be clogged by now

WBS

If you have a printer you should have plenty unless your selling your products too cheap, if its not making money its not worth having, farm your prints out

damonCA21

OK so if you have a printer that you have already paid for, and it costs £2000 to fix, you are saying it is better to just scrap that and spend £15,000 on a new printer?

netsol

we still print much of our product on a circa 2004(s) roland sc545-ex

obviously increased speed would be great, but, i don't like the idea of being locked out of setup menus

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
we still print much of our product on a circa 2004(s) roland sc545-ex

obviously increased speed would be great, but, i don't like the idea of being locked out of setup menus
If you did want to upgrade, I'd recommend trying to pick up a VS-i model, they are quick, good quality and easy enough to service yourself. Only real downside is the 1 head setup. However, as long as you treat it right, it will treat you right. It's our most used printer. We still have our old work horses, 2x SP-300V's, and a newer SG-300, but the VS-300i can still print circles around them, so comes in handy when we need to get things done quick.

WBS

Yes I am
With a new machine you should get at least 3 yr warrantee, which will cover at least 2 heads at 2500 each plus service and the confidence of printing with out issues, yes you might have an issue but it will get fixed with out you having to worry and lets get on with making money with it. Lets face it if you can not make at leaset 30,000 a year from a printer why would you get one, I can understand in yr 1 you will be learning and not make this but after that, they start to earn money if used right, 90,000 to 100,000 in three years surly you can afford to keep upto date with a new machine every 3 years?

damonCA21

Yes I am
With a new machine you should get at least 3 yr warrantee, which will cover at least 2 heads at 2500 each plus service and the confidence of printing with out issues, yes you might have an issue but it will get fixed with out you having to worry and lets get on with making money with it. Lets face it if you can not make at leaset 30,000 a year from a printer why would you get one, I can understand in yr 1 you will be learning and not make this but after that, they start to earn money if used right, 90,000 to 100,000 in three years surly you can afford to keep upto date with a new machine every 3 years?
It depends really on what your business is. Yes if all you do is print then you should be making that much, but people often have them for other reasons as part of another business. I don't make that much from printing as it is a secondary part of my other businesses, but is still worth doing and keeping the printer going

WBS

you only will know what is best for your business, I run a few printers and cutters, but I only have them if they make enough to pay the bills, I have had older machines with out too much trouble, but I have found the eventually they will cost you more than they are worth, In my business keeping them new and up to date with genuine inks is a must and a lot less hassle