• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

is there such a thing as an optically clear film to print on?

gabagoo

I ask this as someone brought in a sample of a big print that was on what appears to be optically clear film.

Definately not vinyl as it had no stretching capabilities and almost seemed more like clear acestate.
Very difficult to peel away from the clear back liner.

Any ideas as to the type of material it could be?

on a side note the print seemed to have a texture to it and maybe was done on some flatbed but it smells horrible, and the print is well over a year old.

gabagoo

it sounds like clear film with adhesive. The clear film has kinda a rough texture to it.

no, the film as absolutley clear but it is definately not a vinyl product...maybe a polyester. It is like looking through glass and that makes it very interesting.

The ink used on the product had a texture to it, so i was thinking maybe it came off of a flatbed and as I stated it really smells bad.

Circleville Signs

How many times does he have to say - IT IS NOT A VINYL PRODUCT.

Sounds like it might be flatbed printed acetate, or possibly even screen printed.

gabagoo

I have found out what it is.
A clear pvc with optically clear adhesive.... $500+ per roll. I have never heard of anything like that and maybe the guy on the order desk got it wrong..in any case they are sending me a sample roll to try out.

I hope that stink is the ink on it and not the material phewww

sfr table hockey

I have used Oraguard 290GF opt. clear meant for window perf, to print on and it prints nice and runs a little under $600 for a 54" x 150' roll.

Did not seem to have any smell.

Been wanting to try Big Fish's opt clear. Waiting on other stuff for the order.

Was it thicker than than what the Oraguard would be?

jimmeth411

Try 3M's IJ8150. Don't know who carries it, but I ordered a sample roll from 3M, came in yesterday. Really cool stuff, and completely optically clear. Printed great on the HP L25500, and cut like a charm!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█