• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this common knowledge?

Speedsterbeast

I ordered some Oracal Gentian Blue code 051 (the standard colour for one my of regular customers) Only this time, we only needed a shorter term, so I went with the 651 instead of the usual 751 that we use on their fleet of vehicles and equipment. Well, if you already know this you know where I'm headed.

After cutting and weeding a butload of decals, I realize that the colour doesn't match. The colour code is the same but the 651 series is a much darker blue than in the 751 series.
I checked the colour charts and it is true. They don't match even closely
But really?
Unfrickenbeleivable.

Anyway, a valuable bit of info in case this isn't widely known.

Malkin

Dunno about common knowledge, but I've never assumed that different series vinyl would match, but in this case I can see why you did.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Yeah, you can't trust codes when you switch from grade to grade of a vinyl. Can't even do that with paint, don't know why you thought that would be different with cast vs calendared let alone the adhesive, thickness of material and why it handles outdoors are completely different.

Only thing you can trust are actual samples, that is why they have swatch books of the ACTUAL vinyl in them and they give them away for free. Sorry, no sympathy from over here.

Speedsterbeast

Not looking for sympathy, just sharing a tough lesson that I can share and may help others avoid, as I've been helped with countless times on this forum.
I guess it's common knowledge then.

So to all of you veterans. Nevermind.
And too all you fellow rookies. Be aware.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Same thing with 3M cast and intermediate cutting vinyl. Same color code not the same color.

Good point to bring up for anyone who has not ran head long into it.

wayne k
guam usa

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Sorry speedster, I'm a little ornery today. Really it's not all that common knowledge, just common sense to color match before you order ... I mean crap and a half, I got 2 rolls of oracal 951 few months back same color ... looked different ... stupid *** batch colors.