• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Issue with vinyl bubbling through printer

signsandsites

Im having this issue with a 6 mil calendered vinyl that we've used for about a year with no issues. With the most recent roll we purchased, as the vinyl straightens out off the roll through the printer, long bubbles start to form from the edge to the center of the vinyl. This happened every few yards at the start of the roll and then increasingly as the roll got smaller. At half a roll it happens every two feet. Were going to contact our vendor and possibly get a refund on half the roll.

I opened up a second stock roll we had and within the first foot the issue reoccurred. I'm trying to eliminate possible causes on our end. As far as I know, nothing has changed. Same print settings, heat settings, roller position, etc.

Below is a picture of the repeating issue.

Attachments

• 669c4878.jpg
    669c4878.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 169
Last edited by a moderator:

VISCOM

I had this problem before.... my fix was a bad roll sent me a new roll and problem went away

rjssigns

The vendors storage conditions plus the age of the stock are two possibilities. If it has a "paper" backing it will be very susceptible to humidity. Old material will also start to "tunnel" or release from the backing. If possible check to see if there is a date code on your product. Material should be used within 12 months.

signsandsites

The vendors storage conditions plus the age of the stock are two possibilities. If it has a "paper" backing it will be very susceptible to humidity. Old material will also start to "tunnel" or release from the backing. If possible check to see if there is a date code on your product. Material should be used within 12 months.

Only information I have is a Lot #, but the vendor should be able to look that up and give me a production date. Thanks for the help :)

CS-SignSupply-TT

Environment, change of seasons, old/bad media. Use the LOT# to determine age and history of the media. Get it replaced with FRESH media and start making $$$$ again

dj_elite

Check your heater settings. Maybe someone was playing with them. I use Oracal 3651 gloss and matte. I know on the matte I have to run the pre and platen heaters 2 degrees colder than the gloss or this will happen.

signsandsites

Have gone through 3 rolls now all with the same problem. Sent them back for full refunds.

Representative suggested heat settings, but the vinyl will tunnel even if its just rolled out flat on our work table. Nothing to do with heat.

Temperature is pretty consistent in our shop so maybe humidity?

Our supplier never got back to us with information on the lot #.

dj_elite

My 3651 does this to when rolled out flat. You can see it start tunneling right after you flatten it. I wonder if I got a bad roll too? Its almost like the backing paper has too much of a wax to it and the vinyl doesn't stick to it.

CS-SignSupply-TT

SUPPLIER non-response....

Have gone through 3 rolls now all with the same problem. Sent them back for full refunds.

Representative suggested heat settings, but the vinyl will tunnel even if its just rolled out flat on our work table. Nothing to do with heat.

Temperature is pretty consistent in our shop so maybe humidity?

Our supplier never got back to us with information on the lot #.
Dude, you posted 12-30-11 and its 1-9-12 and you have not heard back from the distributor...?!?! If this had been a "tight turn", what were you going to do? OUCH!!!!