• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just as I was ready to buy EcoSolvant here comes Latex

Bradw99

I started a thread a few weeks ago about buying a new Eco-solvent 64" machine. I decided on the Epson S80600. Then a trusted vendor asked why didn't I consider Latex? What I have been told:
It took longer daily maintenance
The make-ready time to get to start the first print was much longer.
Longer to clean up
If you didn't use it for several days the heads clogged
If you only have one banner to run it wasn't efficient and Latex was more a production machine

He told me those facts were all wrong.
So once again I need your advise. Latex over Eco-solvent in a lower volume usage.

TomK

Plenty of recent threads on here, search and read up, each have pros and cons.

I'm a latex owner, if I were buying another wide format machine today, it would be the Epson S series, the 80600 for sure. The output quality of that machine is something the HP Latex machines dream about being able to do when they grow up.

You'll get various opinions and feedback, but don't buy a printer until you (a) Go to both a HP shop and Epson shop and print YOUR files on both printers, and (b) make sure you have local support for HP or Epson to help out when you need it. Having a kick ass Epson machine that you can't get support on is almost as bad as having a HP Latex machine you can get support on! :)

I sold my eco-sol as I was always dizzy in the print room, they say it's odorless but it's not, and probably dangerous too. (it's certified when the ink is DRY, but what about the operator breathing in the vapours?)

I made some test prints on a latex printer and the colors are not that vibrant, prints are grainier and small text is not sharp, but it's still better than lung or liver cancer. I really loved the print and cut function on the eco-sol though (but if your cut line is on the printed area you need to let it dry 24-48h otherwise the edge will curl).

Case

I've installed and trained people on over 1,000-2,000 printers in my life.... Ranging from HP, Mutoh, Mimaki, Epson, CET, Roland, Seiko, Canon, Agfa, Oce, etc........... I would never personally buy an HP latex.... It has some positives, but the Epson S series on reliability and quality blows any HP latex printer away....... I've installed all the HP latex printers.... Know them really well, would never buy one..... I did take one for free once that was given to me.... :-D

Case

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"HP - it's still better than lung or liver cancer"
HP should focus group this and see how it plays.

ProPDF

I started a thread a few weeks ago about buying a new Eco-solvent 64" machine. I decided on the Epson S80600. Then a trusted vendor asked why didn't I consider Latex? What I have been told:
It took longer daily maintenance
The make-ready time to get to start the first print was much longer.
Longer to clean up
If you didn't use it for several days the heads clogged
If you only have one banner to run it wasn't efficient and Latex was more a production machine

He told me those facts were all wrong.
So once again I need your advise. Latex over Eco-solvent in a lower volume usage.

HP is better at marketing their platex grain train and Epson is better at printing quality prints then marketing. Go check them out for yourself and you will see what prints the best, it's the Epson. Properly profiled prints are dry to the touch off the Epson but buy a Digi heater and bake the prints as they come out and you will have NO dry time needed. All you are doing is speeding up the natural process with an external heater. You don't get out of the shower and stand there looking around waiting to air dry...No you get a towel to speed it up. So get a heater for your Epson if you are banging out time critical art pieces. As for the smell yeah Epson smell more but so what, get a charcoal filter in the room. If you are printing out of your garage your mom might not be happy so the latex is more living room friendly.

Stole these from another thread but just search smoking hp if you want to find it it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0bmuK-xcS5dN8O4Daii9A5rCl9dvsIv/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vgT1eODBinZLOdT0lkufWf3DEMpK6p-W/view

Bly

We bought a used 60600 and don't miss the white, light or orange inks.
I guess if you get a lot of RGB original art the bigger gamut would be an advantage but we nearly always get CMYK art.
We print white ink jobs on the Arizona. Having to only stock 4 colour inks is a bonus.
Pretty sure the orange fades quicker than the others too.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Get the 60600 and don't look back.Hardly any maintenance every couple weeks. Immediate printing, no wasted material. No head replacement/degradation. Lightning fast.