• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Just frickin' typical.....................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Met with a prospective customer yesterday morning. We looked at the building from the outside. He told me what he wants and we discussed many of the pitfalls, due to codes. He says, can you give an estimate ?? Now?? Yes. Nope. So, he shows me on his phone, the schematics and blueprints for this building and its renovations. I could hardly see anything. Looked like chicken scratch. I told him to send them over and I'd look at them right away. Told him there would be a charge.

So, in the shop, I'm looking at this mess and he has two different drawings for his specs. Hmmm........ I called the township and they told me, he's trying to pull something and they won't let him. He's almost within the limits with the one drawing, but not the other. He also wants to put all kinds of signs in the windows advertising his stuff. It's gonna be a huge beer mart.

I e-mailed him my findings and he tried to tell me to price it out (the wrong way) and told him, I can't, unless he installs them. He's already trying to manipulate me.

We're meeting next Tuesday for him to show me the copy to go on the signs. Cripes, they don't even have a name for the business yet.

His brother is the one with all the money and still lives full time in India. He's here taking care of 3 or 4 other businesses for his brother.

No questions, just how the industry seems to be heading...... and not just ours, but the whole country. :wavingflag:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
His brother is the one with all the money and still lives full time in India. He's here taking care of 3 or 4 other businesses for his brother.
I was on a call one night this past week to my cell phone "representative", who I am sure was from India. Every once in a while, I could hear a little banty rooster crowing his heart out in the background.

So...real quickly...I double checked the world clock on my phone and noticed that it was currently 8:30 the next morning in Mumbai. That little banty was just doin' his job.

JB

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Indians are wonderful people, but they have some quirks that need to be understood. Wealthy Indians use Family Offices rather than banks to manage their business affairs, and dealing with them is not as straight forward as we are used to in the U.S. It is common for a family representative (usually a young male) to move to the U.S. to manage business affairs. They are under the direction of the Family Office (often referred to as a brother because it is too hard to explain any other way), and they are expected to be hard negotiators. But many are inexperienced with the legal practices in our country, especially regulations such as building codes and licensing. In their zeal to prove themselves to their families, they will often just charge ahead, seemingly without regard to what we would consider common practice. It is important to be direct and honest with them. "No" is not in their vocabulary, so when you tell them "no" they feel awkward. They are also wary of contracts, usually preferring verbal promises and reassurances. Time is also "flexible", which can also create scheduling problems and other headaches. My experience has been detailed written contracts are a must, and, unfortunately, at least in the sign business, sizeable deposits are necessary (they will often want to re-negotiate the price even after you think a deal has been settled on). It is important to remember, though, that they really want to succeed in our amazing country of opportunity. It's almost like you have to be a jerk to do business with them, but be a nice jerk and help them along with sincerity and compassion. Usually, once they feel comfortable with you and believe you are honest, they make great clients.

PatWhatley

You've been at this long enough to know that if the township is on him BEFORE he even gets started you should just walk away. Locally I've had ti take three years AFTER I installed jobs for the city to realize they were wrong and at that point they just ignored it. If he's already on their radar it's already over.

Met with a prospective customer yesterday morning. We looked at the building from the outside. He told me what he wants and we discussed many of the pitfalls, due to codes. He says, can you give an estimate ?? Now?? Yes. Nope. So, he shows me on his phone, the schematics and blueprints for this building and its renovations. I could hardly see anything. Looked like chicken scratch. I told him to send them over and I'd look at them right away. Told him there would be a charge.

So, in the shop, I'm looking at this mess and he has two different drawings for his specs. Hmmm........ I called the township and they told me, he's trying to pull something and they won't let him. He's almost within the limits with the one drawing, but not the other. He also wants to put all kinds of signs in the windows advertising his stuff. It's gonna be a huge beer mart.

I e-mailed him my findings and he tried to tell me to price it out (the wrong way) and told him, I can't, unless he installs them. He's already trying to manipulate me.

We're meeting next Tuesday for him to show me the copy to go on the signs. Cripes, they don't even have a name for the business yet.

No questions, just how the industry seems to be heading...... and not just ours, but the whole country. :wavingflag:
uh, nope. Run

John Miller

I tend to agree with kcollinsdesign. As long as you know up front you have to count your fingers after each meeting to be sure you still have 10, what's the harm in supplying this man with signs? You know the laws, don't break any. Get a sizeable deposit. Do the work.