• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just got my first real carving chisel! (woot)

signmeup

I've been carving since I was 9 years old and the tools I have are all cobbled or handmade. I've never purchased a real honest to gosh carving chisel. I figured after all this time I deserved a little treat so I ordered a chisel from The Best Things. It's a beaut... an Ashley Illes 3/4" swept 90 degree V parting tool. (whew!)
I will give a full report on the next project that I get to use it on.

BTW... The Best Things got it to me very fast. Top marks to them. They must know how we all hate to wait for shiny things to come in the mail.

Last edited:

signmeup

Isn't she beautiful?

Attachments

• Vtool.jpg
    Vtool.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 126

sfr table hockey

Oh man...... it got bent in shipping........

Don't tell me that you did that letting in the backgound with that.... or did you.......

tools are fun..

signmeup

Oh man...... it got bent in shipping........

Don't tell me that you did that letting in the backgound with that.... or did you.......

tools are fun..
Bent!!?? Heathen! :Big Laugh

(The lettering was done with my trusty sandblaster and cheap-ass Desay plotter.)

SignManiac

Wendy's V is quite sexy! Enjoy it Adrian. I'm still loving my new cue stick :) Oh, yesterday I bought me a brand new shiny pick axe along with a wood chopping axe. Still pristine...

mrchips

That is one solid looking tool! After seeing the price, I'm glad I bought most of mine long ago.

I'm curious why you went with the bent tool?

Make Chip$!

Joe

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

signmeup

That is one solid looking tool! After seeing the price, I'm glad I bought most of mine long ago.

I'm curious why you went with the bent tool?

Make Chip$!

Joe

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
I figured it would keep my hands up off the work when i finish a tapered cut... like a V cut that starts and ends with a sharp point. I may modify it with a shorter fatter handle so i can get closer to the blade and still get the butt in my palm. I'll use it as is for a while.