• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv3 130 spII - low ink, heads not getting wiped

gabagoo

OK so here is the thing. I am low on black ink and from what I can tell those suckers take for ever to empty,which is not a bad thing but when the ink is "near end" the little wiper does not perform its task until there are no low inks. Friday night I did a 60 minute nozzle wash and then swung the head over afterwards to clean around the heads with a foam wiper. Saturday I went to work and had to print some posters and the print was horrible and streaky. I ran a test print and half the squares of the magenta were not visible so I ran another 30 minute nozzle wash and was a little better but then I thought, the head has not been wiped for 3 or 4 days at this point. I swapped out the black ink so that I could get the wiper to clean the heads and presto!! magenta is back and working fine.
My question is this. That black cartridge will not go back in now that it is near end so it is toast but is there a command that overirdes "near end" so that the wiper cleans the heads?

ColesCreations

I know of no way to override the low ink, but why not put the low ink cartridge bak in and use it up?
We almost always add 30cc, but it will not clean as long as low warning is on. Sucks.
What if you're gone for a couple of weeks, and ink gets low? (We always make sure we have lots of ink in before going on vacation.)

gabagoo

When I put low cartridges back in they dont work and I get some command about adding ink or something, but I am afraid to get aire in the lines if I am wrong.

WB

Best thing to do is run a Nozzel wash when your not using the printer.. Soak the heads for 90 min in Solvent.. We have this problem.. 2 printers and I tend to favor 1 more then the other.. thsi has lead to a Cyan head with 1.. I repeat 1 clogged nozzel which bands almost every colour.. So.. come Monday I have some work to do to try and clear it out..

My Rep actually told me about a way to soak the heads for longer periods by turning the main power off but.. I haven't actually done it yet...

What really bugs me is how out of the 2 cartridges the printer always uses 1 more then the other, so if you have a low cart on the bad side it can take awhile to empty it.. I try and switch them often so this doesn't happen..

gabagoo

Best thing to do is run a Nozzel wash when your not using the printer.. Soak the heads for 90 min in Solvent.. We have this problem.. 2 printers and I tend to favor 1 more then the other.. thsi has lead to a Cyan head with 1.. I repeat 1 clogged nozzel which bands almost every colour.. So.. come Monday I have some work to do to try and clear it out..

My Rep actually told me about a way to soak the heads for longer periods by turning the main power off but.. I haven't actually done it yet...

What really bugs me is how out of the 2 cartridges the printer always uses 1 more then the other, so if you have a low cart on the bad side it can take awhile to empty it.. I try and switch them often so this doesn't happen..

Yes exactly I did a 1 hour nozzle wash friday night but becasue the black ink is low I guess when the wash is finished it does not go through the routine of wiping the heads, hence my magenta head clogged up a bit. Normally once you get the ink near end message, it doesn't take long for the cartridge to expire, but black is a different story.

WB

Yes but there is one side that uses more ink then the other.. so.. I know black is bad because you use little but if you take the almost empty cart. and put it in the other slot it should help the low ink no wipe..

I say whats the point of having 2 ink carts.. if it uses 1 80% more then the other.. unless.. it's to get you to but 2 sets of ink..

gabagoo

Yes but there is one side that uses more ink then the other.. so.. I know black is bad because you use little but if you take the almost empty cart. and put it in the other slot it should help the low ink no wipe..

I say whats the point of having 2 ink carts.. if it uses 1 80% more then the other.. unless.. it's to get you to but 2 sets of ink..

so swap the cartridges? well there both sitting on 1 so I suppose the low ink warning will probably pop up in a few days

genericname

It's my understanding that they tend to drain at the same rate unless you're printing at 360x540. I've only ever come across anecdotes of this, as none of the literature backs this up, but I digress...

I throw low-ink cartridges back in our JV3 all the time. If I know a sensor's acting up, and a cartridge is nowhere near low, I'll add more ink when the "add ink?" dialogue comes up. If not, just hit "end" and it'll exit the dialogue to return to the typical "low ink" screen. From here, you can operate as usual, and it'll pause your print to let you know when it thinks it's actually out of ink.

For the most part, the JV3's pretty good at telling you when you need to toss a cartridge. It should never let you use a cartridge that's actually, entirely empty. Even when it's past the point of not accepting the cartridge, there will still be a bit of ink it. Because of that, I don't ever worry about ink in the lines, and it's never been an issue.

Pacific Sign

You can try soaking the print heads over the weekend.

1. Run the Nozzle Wash command.
2. Clean the wiper's as instructed.
3. Fill capping station with Cleaning Solution.
4. Set it for 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the machine, and unplug the machine.

Unplugging will prevent the machine from purging.
The heads will stay soaked in the solution.

When you get back to work, plug the machine back in and run as normal.

gabagoo

It's my understanding that they tend to drain at the same rate unless you're printing at 360x540. I've only ever come across anecdotes of this, as none of the literature backs this up, but I digress...

I throw low-ink cartridges back in our JV3 all the time. If I know a sensor's acting up, and a cartridge is nowhere near low, I'll add more ink when the "add ink?" dialogue comes up. If not, just hit "end" and it'll exit the dialogue to return to the typical "low ink" screen. From here, you can operate as usual, and it'll pause your print to let you know when it thinks it's actually out of ink.

For the most part, the JV3's pretty good at telling you when you need to toss a cartridge. It should never let you use a cartridge that's actually, entirely empty. Even when it's past the point of not accepting the cartridge, there will still be a bit of ink it. Because of that, I don't ever worry about ink in the lines, and it's never been an issue.

how do you know how much ink to add and after you do that do the ink sensors stop working, ie air in the lines?

genericname

I just play it safe and add the minimum amount of ink offered. I believe it's 20CCs, and I've never run into air in the lines. While your cart will feel pretty damn empty after that, there's still a small amount of ink in there, so your machine should still stop well before it becomes an issue.