• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 Take-up reel motor

genericname

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone would know both where I could find a replacement motor for my take-up reel (including the small board for it), and how much they would cost.

Thinking I may have had a short, as none of the switches do anything but light up the indicator LED on the board by the take-up reel. Ugh.

eye4clr

the set screw that holds the spindle on the axle may have loosened up.

I had the same thing and was about to $pend big $$$$$$$$$$$ on a new motor when someone here directed me to the set screw. Problem solved.

You have to take the motor apart some to find it. But it isn't that hard.

genericname

Took a look for it, though that doesn't seem to be the issue. When I remove the motor from the assembly, but still keep it plugged in, it's evident that power is getting to it, though it appears that it's not enough. With the flick of the power or directional switch, it'll give one tiny sputter of movement, and stop.

How much was your supplier going to charge you for the motor?

eye4clr

I don't remember. I think it was a couple of hundred?

If you put pressure from various directions, does the spindle engage at all?
Do you hear the motor working and the spindle just is not spinning?

genericname

Removed from the assembly, I can turn it no problem. There's no movement when it's assembled though, which I suppose is how it's suppose to work. I'm thinking more and more that it's the board. If the motor budges a bit (even if it is for just a fraction of a second), I would think that it's getting and using power, but the board just isn't regulating what kind of power it's getting.

Our prod manager is looking into getting a new motor. I just hope it's not a wasted purchase if it turns out that it's not the motor at all.