• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV5 prinheads failed

Driving Force

I have a 4 year old jv5 and it has been pretty trouble free and a very good printer for 4 years now. Last week we were printing and the material ranout and caused an overlimit error. This happens sometimes and you just need to reboot machine. During the reboot the printheads were at the capping station and suddenly before the capping closed the thing threw a new error. Long story short, tech comes out and runs through everything and tells me that 2 printheads and the head boards have failed. Printheads at $2700 ea and the other parts plus labor and I am looking at around $8000 for repairs!!
My question is how would 2 printheads suddenly fail at the same time? this seems really odd to me and I really cant understand how this could happen? Anyone else ever hear of such a thing? Second, holy cow, $2700 for 1 printhead!!! that seems pretty darn expensive, and this machine has 4 of them.
I guess I dont really have a choice but to fix it, but I guess I'll be eating hotdogs for a while.

artbot

for one, rebuild the board (macmedia). i have the main board pdf for the jv5. also have the slider board, too etc (in case macmedia needs one).

as far as the heads... which jv5 is it (S, DS)? i thought i read a discussion with fieldcenter pointing out that some models will accept dx5 heads for jv33's, other will not.

Driving Force

It wasnt the main board, but the small head board, one for each head. I guess there is a new one that is not compatible with the older ones so they have to change all 4, figures.
I dont know which model, how do I tell that? I know a year after I bought it Mimaki changed all the printheads at no cost when they ghanged the ink configuration. I'm wondering if there is anyone who could look at these heads and possibly repair them? I might have to start buying a head or two to have around in case of another failure. A week down just isnt acceptable for me, Dont they understand that these machines are how we make money?

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Thank you.

Beaware of buying JV5 print heads from supplier other than dealers. DX5 is used for many printers. Only original jv33 or jv5 print head will work on jv5. Rest of valuejet, epson heads whatsoever will not work but they do look the same. Now no wonder we sold out our original IH47V jv33 print heads.

artbot

i'd figure it's on the back? or get the serial number and call mimaki. i have the pdf for the slider boards for the jv5's. macmedia repairs slider boards for $200. i'd get a second opinion on changing all four. doesn't sould like right. especially if mimaki replaced all heads, etc. sounds like they should have replaced all the slider boards too?

or perhaps the difference between the two boards are extemely minimal, like a fuse needs to be a different resistance, ... that is a modification not a need for an entirely new board. i wouldn't be surprised if they are almost identical except for a tiny difference.

mustafade

Thank you.

Beaware of buying JV5 print heads from supplier other than dealers. DX5 is used for many printers. Only original jv33 or jv5 print head will work on jv5. Rest of valuejet, epson heads whatsoever will not work but they do look the same. Now no wonder we sold out our original IH47V jv33 print heads.
Hello Fieldcenter,

I recently replaced my JV33's head due to bent S/S frame around the head. Is there a way to replace that s/s frame some how? Because the head was printing immaculate except it wasn't able seal very well on capping station due to uneven surface of s/s piece.
So if some how I could replace the s/s piece I have another head for future use!

Thanks for your help in advance.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Hello Fieldcenter,

I recently replaced my JV33's head due to bent S/S frame around the head. Is there a way to replace that s/s frame some how? Because the head was printing immaculate except it wasn't able seal very well on capping station due to uneven surface of s/s piece.
So if some how I could replace the s/s piece I have another head for future use!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Good day,

If you upload a picture or send one to us; we have couple original print heads for parts. We might able to help.

sales@fieldcenterusa.com

mustafade

Pictures of JV 33 head

here it is

Attachments

• IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 114

premiercolour

Merchant Member
We've never seen that part being damaged before. You might want to find a shot print head with that part alone still in good condition.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've never seen that part for sale by itself. This is what a good one looks like though....

Attachments

• DX5SS.jpg
    DX5SS.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 109

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Sorry but no. Then I'd be stuck with a perfectly good head that needs a part. Best I can suggest would be to take the one you have off and using some tools like flat punches and a vice - try to straighten out the one you have. That or contact a Mimaki dealer and see if they can possibly order just that part of the head.

mustafade

I hear 'ya. I knew it was a long shot but it worth a shoot :).
I already asked Mimaki if they just sell that part they said no. I think I take your suggestion under consideration and try to flatten out.