• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L25500 and unlaminated print

Dave Rowland

Got a contract to do on our printer that will require the vinyl to hold up on it's own for 2 years in the UK in external conditions on a removable lower cost vinyl. We are trying not to laminate this lot.

I am hoping fading wont be too much of an issue.

As the machine is about 3 years to do date, has anyone got a fade warnings as we only had ours for about 3 months so far.

signswi

No idea, everything that goes outside gets laminated here except for banners and temporary yard signs. I'm guessing that's the case for most shops.

CanuckSigns

I don't think the prints will fade too much in 2 years, especially in the UK as you don't get as much sun as most of Canada/US

Like Gabagoo said, my main concern would be removing the vinyl after 2 years, especially cheap removable vinyl, most of it has a removability life span of 1 year. the fact that they are not laminated will only make removing them harder.

I would use a inexpensive laminate if it were me, Unless you are running on razor thin profits on this job. It won't add that much to the job.

MikePro

you should be fine. heck, my unlaminated solvent prints have lasted 4+ years with minimal color fading... all depends on how much direct sun exposure it gets AND your client knows to never attempt to clean it with anything but a damp cloth. plus, its my understanding that latex > solvent in terms of durability? correct me if i'm wrong.

+1 to "removable economy vinyl" never doing what you'd expect... I've been known to "wax the center of the graphic with dish soap and only securely apply the outer 3" perimeter to minimize the difficulty of the removal.