• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lacryl 400

klemgraphics

I have a couple of pan faces to spray with Lacryl 400, any tips on spraying techniques? I have heard to have a light behind it so you can see what you are doing as well as working in really light coats.

Anything special that needs to be done when prepping? I'm thinking scotch brite and scuff gel so that cleans really well and cuts down on the static.

John Butto

I would not scuff it, we use to use a lightly damp lint free rag and wipe it down, and let it dry, before spraying to keep down static, and keep the gun always perpendicular and parallel to the face. Put on light coats and build to the color (checking between coats with a white backer and looking from the front), and back with white. Your dealing with transparent color so go slow on adding coats as to not overshooting your color. The ideal painting booth is a waterfall setup to keep static and overspray down.

klemgraphics

When you say light coats what exactly do you mean? For example on the white backer would you have an average of 4 light coats or 8 even lighter coats to get the same end result? The colors I am doing are dark brown with an off white backer.

We have a nice booth setup(my dads bodyshop) at our disposal so that is not an issue. Could I just hold it up to one of the fluorescent fixtures in the booth to check the transparency?

Thanks

John Butto

easel

Set up some easels with 2x4's, do not spray the pan face flat and set them up in front of the lights on the wall if he has them.

jeffblair5

The lighter the coats the better. We sent a sign out last week that had 30 coats of white in the background but some may take only 8 or so. Alot depends on the painter, system and color.