• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lam not sticking to UV prints

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Im seeing this more and more....that certain lams are not sticking to UV prints on Gatorfoam or Ultraboard....8509 is junk...S&F digilam 600 failed over the weekend now. Not sure if its the tension on the laminator causing the lam to stretch some and its simply shrinking back or what.

Im thinking only CAST Lams from now on for this. Anyone else have good solutions??

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
As an update to this post:

I spoke to the vendor for S&F digilam....besides it actually being crappy lam now....and the reasoning is: "calendared lam should never be used on a board as it will shrink and cause the fogging/silvering issue/lifting we are seeing on the prints."
I buy that to a certain point....but not completely. :banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many vinyls.... high end and calendared alike do not stick to U/V prints, let alone laminates.

Wiggum PI

Many vinyls.... high end and calendared alike do not stick to U/V prints, let alone laminates.
^This. I know there is an Image Perfect product specifically for this available through Spandex, there's probably a few more if you check around.

Dave Rowland

well i have I/P Clear vinyl, one of the weakest glues around imo and does not lam uv prints as i have loads of a few failures too

I think there is a UV product available from Spandex, yes

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
What we printed was nearly 100% black ink coverage at the edges of the print...not sure if that had to do something with this failure. This is the first time I have seen this happen to me ever in 4 yrs of flatbed printing and lam'ing. I figured the 3509 was just horrible as some people have said here that it failed on them with other types of prints. So I used a lam that I know had a very sticky adhesive and that shrunk back to my surprise as well.
At this point just going to use 8518 or 8519 and hope for the best. Never had this kind of thing happen to aluminum or PVC board.

BPI Color

I've used calendared lams without the failure you're citing. That being said, I've occasionally been sold the pig-in-a-poke by an unscrupulous sales rep. I'd suggest you look for another vendor.