• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate suppose to be 100% clear?

dtdm

Okay I am new to laminating... I am using 3651g and 215g.
I am laminating using a big squeege. Smaller sections, 2'x2'.
There seems to be a visible adhesive between the laminate and the vinyl?
Not so much of a bubble but it looks like the adhesive itself... it's only noticeable up close, hasn't been in the sun.

Letting prints de gas for atleast 24+ hours before laminating. I have tried to take photos of this, however it doesn't show up in one...

Is this normal with laminating?

rjssigns

Had issues when lam'ing with a BS. Then I started using a piece of glass for my table. Un-frickin'-believable difference! Looks just as smooth as running it through our RS 1650.

A sheet of tempered glass is dead flat compared to a table with a cutting mat. The cutting mat is textured too which doesn't help.

rjssigns

1/4" thick. Tempered glass is horridly expensive though. Maybe check your local ReStore outlet or home salvage for a huge mirror. It is gonna be supported on a table anyway so tempering will not be necessary.

dtdm

thanks for all the input guys, i will try laminating on a glass top (coffee table LOL) until I build myself a new work table, appreciate all the insight!:corndog:

Patentagosse

215 is stiffer than 210 to lay down perfectly. 210 gives really great results here (but I'm using a laminator though...). For even more perfect jobs right out the laminator, 290GF (optically clear with synthetic liner) is like a wet clearcoat. I use it for most of my jobs (especially wraps but also for panels). It's cast so yes, it's more expensive but if the guy is waiting next to you to walk out with his 2x4 panel, he sure quits with confidence instead of being told: "well, it will desappear in few days..."

dtdm

Thanks Patentagosse for the insight on the 290, I'll be giving that a shot here when this 215 gets a bit lower...

DizzyMarkus

I have a 4x8 table topped with 1/4" PLATE glass works so nice -- its like cutting on ball bearings :0) You must get the edges sanded througt tho -- ask about 12 of my shirts -- haha looks like someone hacked me with a razor blade. The sheet was $80 Plus $20 to have it sanded -- best part 44" x 44" is cut out under of table top) for 4 tube lights, swtiched, under the table. The glass spans the 44" fine -- aint like your having pole dancers on it hehe

Markus

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Also, none of your standard everyday laminates are 100% optically clear, other than window perf laminates (like Clear Focus)....Oracal does have a few in optically clear I believe.....290 (cast) comes in an F designation for optically clear. Hand lamination never lays down perfectly smooth. Must use tight setting on laminator, or as suggested, glass table.

Jackpine

None of your standard everyday laminates are 100% clear. 210 seems a bit gray tint in the laminate or the adhesive. I have found Mactac to be the clearest and the 3.0 mil is very soft and laminates with the Big Squeegee with no problems. I get mine from H&H, a merchant here. Glass top tables are the best.

Jackpine

The ColorGard® overlaminating films are a family of intermediate pressure sensitive adhesive coated, clear overlaminating films that are available in a variety of surface finishes. These films can be laminated to photographic prints, transparencies and digital images including UV inkjet, solvent- and eco-solvent inkjet, and water-based inkjet prints to impart protection from abrasion, moisture and other potentially damaging effects in both indoor and outdoor environments.

dtdm

Any chance you can post or pm a pic of your table? I appreciate the $ amounts being mentioned.. gives me an idea at least when I head to the local glass shop!

Also I picked up a cheap, slightly beat up, used old gbc laminator from like a school auction... 30" has heat.... I blew the fuse holder out the other day but I am thinking of using this to create a fraken-laminator of sorts... my heat rollers are a bit beat but if i build a carrying mechanism I should be fine...

thanks for all the valuable information guys!

I have a 4x8 table topped with 1/4" PLATE glass works so nice -- its like cutting on ball bearings :0) You must get the edges sanded througt tho -- ask about 12 of my shirts -- haha looks like someone hacked me with a razor blade. The sheet was $80 Plus $20 to have it sanded -- best part 44" x 44" is cut out under of table top) for 4 tube lights, swtiched, under the table. The glass spans the 44" fine -- aint like your having pole dancers on it hehe

Markus