• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating prints onto correx

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
A client is asking me to produce 20-40 correx toblerones, each face 800x2000mm. I can print this on self adhesive polyprop, and laminate with polyprop (no vinyl allowed). I'd get in 6mm (possibly 10mm) correx, and cut the return for each face, and join with velcro. The printed images need to be photographic quality, for a longstanding client, so I'm loath to sub this out.

Anyone applied SA materials to correx with a laminator? I'd prefer to not have to squeegy these down by hand...

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
A client is asking me to produce 20-40 correx toblerones, each face 800x2000mm. I can print this on self adhesive polyprop, and laminate with polyprop (no vinyl allowed). I'd get in 6mm (possibly 10mm) correx, and cut the return for each face, and join with velcro. The printed images need to be photographic quality, for a longstanding client, so I'm loath to sub this out.

Anyone applied SA materials to correx with a laminator? I'd prefer to not have to squeegy these down by hand...
Before we got our flatbad this is how we had to do all coro signs. Laminator works well - just don't have the roller set too low or you will crush the coro.

Last edited:

Humble PM

Thank you both, I thought it should work, but just wanted to run things past those who own the T-shirts.

Humble PM

Client is interested, despite obscene quote (this is not my regular area of production, so went with 2.5x material costs).

Does this make sense for production design (they'll be providing the artwork).

Rough calculation puts this at 40+ hours printing - I might need to upgrade to a faster (bigger) R2R printer and laminator.

Toblerone.png

Boudica

We do quite a few of those trifolds on coro - we direct print, but.... we do it in one piece, so there is just one seal, and we use banner tape. Is there a reason you are going with velcro - are they going to be interchangeable?

Humble PM

We do quite a few of those trifolds on coro - we direct print, but.... we do it in one piece, so there is just one seal, and we use banner tape. Is there a reason you are going with velcro - are they going to be interchangeable?
No, they would require me to be able to print 2000x2400. The units are wanting to move around 6-10 different venues over a 12 month period. So, each unit needs to be flatpackable.
It's for a touring ballet company.

Humble PM

Thank you queen of the Iceni!

Feels like it makes sense, but before ordering a quarter (metric) tonne of fluted polyprop, good to have some eyes on.

JBurton

Signtologist
Thank you queen of the Iceni!

Feels like it makes sense, but before ordering a quarter (metric) tonne of fluted polyprop, good to have some eyes on.
Have you price polypro in fluted sheets compared to polycarbonate? Most greenhouse panels are polycarbonate, so I'd recon it's a cheaper alternative to polypropylene, but it primarily comes in clear.

Boudica

Those are much bigger than what I was thinking of. Sounds like a neat project.

Humble PM

You're making periaktoi. If you wanna impress them toss that word into conversation somewhere. ;-)
(Former theatre and dance nerd here)
Turns out that they are not (though I do love the idea). Client hadn't heard of this either.

They are to go in foyers of the venues the production will go to.

New curve ball is that they'll be in public areas, do I have a solution for anchoring them to carper or hardwood floor?

I'm thinking to make prototype, then measure footprint carefully. Then get cnc'd a couple of inches of MDF (or other) per unit, that could be velcro'd at the base of the triangloid. Felt or rubber pads on coners...?

JBurton

Signtologist
Turns out that they are not (though I do love the idea). Client hadn't heard of this either.

They are to go in foyers of the venues the production will go to.

New curve ball is that they'll be in public areas, do I have a solution for anchoring them to carper or hardwood floor?

I'm thinking to make prototype, then measure footprint carefully. Then get cnc'd a couple of inches of MDF (or other) per unit, that could be velcro'd at the base of the triangloid. Felt or rubber pads on coners...?
I'd opt for just cutting lengths of angle, then double sticking that to the bottom side of each flat spot. You won't make something like this untippable, so no use trying. Worst case scenario, it just gets torn in half when some kid tries to knock it down. Best you would manage is a big steel weight and some magnets, but I doubt that would be any better. I'm trying to think of something heavy and readily available, but I'm stuck on what I have at my shop. Like a narrow-ish sandbag, set in a banner shipping tube?

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
I'd opt for just cutting lengths of angle, then double sticking that to the bottom side of each flat spot. You won't make something like this untippable, so no use trying. Worst case scenario, it just gets torn in half when some kid tries to knock it down. Best you would manage is a big steel weight and some magnets, but I doubt that would be any better. I'm trying to think of something heavy and readily available, but I'm stuck on what I have at my shop. Like a narrow-ish sandbag, set in a banner shipping tube?
almost every theater will have stage weights for the fly system readily available backstage, so a solid bottom would make it easy to plop one of those on the plywood or MDF base that the coro is attached to. That's not going anywhere for sure with an extra 40-50 lbs on it.

Humble PM

I think the angle iron might be a good call - heavy duty mushroom velcro, and felt pads on the the return.

Thanks - I appreciate the help.

PS, just seen an immaculate 80600 posted on a UK sign board - would cut down the print time by an order of magnitude... £12k would get me the printer and a reasonable 64" R2R laminator...