• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lamination suggestions

Happyprinter

Just purchased a lamination squeege that has been talked about on this forum before. My question is, what mil lamination is used generally when laminating outside banners or perforated window adhesive. Also, what brand works best. I watched a video of someone using this hand laminator and they made it look easy. When we tried a 2 mil laminate in it on a banner, well let's just say that the banner is not sellable anymore. We are going to need some practice. Thanks in advance.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
3-4 mil is what is typically used. Why did you laminate the banner? What machine do you print with?

gabagoo

I have never tried laminating a banner, I suppose it would have to be a smooth banner material as opposed to a scrim banner. I generally use liquid laminate on a banner, but only if absolutely necessary

CentralSigns

I had a customer ask to have one done. He wanted to have antigraffiti film put on it. Kind of dumb if you ask me. The customer was kind of cheap, he wanted it done for less than $3 ft2, he went elsewhere when we talked $8 a square price.

MikePro

The BigSqueegee is a great tool, but it does take a bit of practice to get the feel of it, much like vinyl application.
did you laminate before or after grommeting? (the former is HIGHLY recommended) You really need a flat surface and a good square-pull against the material to make sure everything lays the way you want to.

I also recommend using ClearShield liquid laminate for banners. $85/gal vs. $150+ for roll laminate is a nice savings. Granted, I still only use matching laminates for my non-banner product.

Latigo

We laminate banners too, but not with film laminate. We use a liquid UV inhibitor called ClearStar.