• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator media buckling in the middle

datoshway

We just got an older seal laminator up and running. We are using it for roll to roll. However when feeding the media through. I'm seeing the middle buckle, almost bow out. I suspect the roller tension is more on the ends than the middle somehow? I know they have crowned rollers but people do use them for roll to roll, so not sure what's happening.

dypinc

I have a Seal 6100 with crowned rollers. I see the same thing happen and one thing that help some is pull the media apart towards the outside edge. Be interested to hear others solutions to this problem.

datoshway

When do you roll to roll. Are you loading like this?

Because I am currently loading over the feed table, wondering if this method would also help. Coming from a royal Sovereign manual laminator so we always fed over the flat loading piece not directly to the roller like these folks are doing.

Mr.Signboy

Loading the media like the video shows will probably help some rather than over the table. It could also be that your pressure is too high? I’ve had the bow in the middle and lightened up on roller pressure and had some luck.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Think of the roller as a "rolling pin" in your kitchen...it has the two handles on either side where you push down. If you push down hard enough,the middle of the roller is going to bow-up (roller deflection) causing you to have less pressure in the middle than sides of the roller....which causes the prints and laminate to bunch up in the middle or show things like silvering in the middle but not the sides of the print.

On a good Seal laminator, you only need around 30psi for good even pressure. Most of the time when I walk into a shop I see pressures north of 80psi and tons of supply-shaft tension being applied.

You are welcome to call me and I can walk you through on the phone.