• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Purchase Checklist

devdev

Ahhhhhh!
Hey all,

We are looking into buying a new laminator and applicator for our wide format products and while I am pretty certain of what I am looking for, I did want to put a thread up here in case I am missing something.
We are replacing some older re-re-branded Chinese cold laminators that took some damage in the last 2 moves/over a decade of daily use, they work "fine" but I want to improve efficiency and there is not much room for improvement with these machines. Our main goal is to run the laminators roll to roll (previously we would run the prints flat on tables in 8' sections and this just seems to waste time and space, death by a million cuts), we have upgraded our take-up system on our printers and can now print full rolls of vinyl without having to split rolls.

My checklist is currently as follows:
- Must Laminate Roll to Roll
- Must have a tech locally that can assist with install/training/repairs if required
- Must have parts readily available (even if they need to be ordered, as long as they exist)
- Slitters would be a huge plus (even bigger plus if using a generic blade)
- Roller replacement/repairs available
- Heat assist would be nice if we look into latex printing in the future

What do y'all think? Are there any other questions I should be including in my enquiries? Thanks!

devdev

Ahhhhhh!
Kala Mistral 1650. Evidently, your salesman/tech who trains you on it can have no clue what they're talking about, but the results are always great. Top of my list to purchase in the future.
I loved seeing the Kalas at PU last year (and in 2019), the Mistral is on the list definitely (if it were solely up to me it'd be at the top). Unfortunately I would have to order from them directly or from a vendor in another city, and no techs are available locally for Kala products that I am aware of (having to pay for drive/hotel can get pricey).

Everyone here seems to have the GFP and Seal products. I will be demoing some GFPs tomorrow.

JBurton

Signtologist
Here is a thread where numerous folks were using the machine in opposite ways, high heat, low heat, pressure at 1, pressure at 6, and all were satisfied with their results: https://www.signs101.com/threads/kala-mistral-1650-heat-settings.177739/
IDK that any reported having a tech mess with their machines after setup.
I have a GFP 563TH and I hate it. When folks say they can laminate a whole roll of material in under 20 minutes, it makes me want to drop mine with our crane. I'm not saying all GFP's are bad, but the evidence I've seen is that all Kala's are great.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Here is a thread where numerous folks were using the machine in opposite ways, high heat, low heat, pressure at 1, pressure at 6, and all were satisfied with their results: https://www.signs101.com/threads/kala-mistral-1650-heat-settings.177739/
IDK that any reported having a tech mess with their machines after setup.
I have a GFP 563TH and I hate it. When folks say they can laminate a whole roll of material in under 20 minutes, it makes me want to drop mine with our crane. I'm not saying all GFP's are bad, but the evidence I've seen is that all Kala's are great.
There are even different methods of webbing it up. Here is one way - It's not how I do it, but I'm gonna try it sometime

victor bogdanov

Lefu / Mefu , less than half the price of the premium brands and same performance/quality

No issues in close to a year that Ive owner a lefu and have done 100s of 150ft ft rolls without a single mess up

devdev

Ahhhhhh!
Lefu / Mefu , less than half the price of the premium brands and same performance/quality

No issues in close to a year that Ive owner a lefu and have done 100s of 150ft ft rolls without a single mess up
I have seen these around, my only issue is access to parts/techs, mostly. I can even see that they have models based on other brands. My off-brand laminators have done us well over the years no doubt, and I am sure these would be fine for the price. definitely something to keep in mind.

*Me trying to convince Accounting to send me to Vegas next week for PU*

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
There are even different methods of webbing it up. Here is one way - It's not how I do it, but I'm gonna try it sometime

Roll of masking tape on the mandrel, lights inside, and voodoo loading. Almost make me wish for an HP printer, just for the 3' of media used for loading on the take up reel.

JBurton

Signtologist

If nothing else, I'm putting my roll of masking tape on my laminator takeup reel. F*cking genius!

White Haus

Not a Newbie

I dunno....almost a full 5 minutes and a couple yards later........seems like the most inefficient way you could possibly web up a laminator.

Boudica

I dunno....almost a full 5 minutes and a couple yards later........seems like the most inefficient way you could possibly web up a laminator.
It does seem pretty time consuming - compared to how I do it. Though, I thought this way was supposed to be less waste? I don't waste that much with my method. One day I will try this method and determine for myself which way actually works better.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It does seem pretty time consuming - compared to how I do it. Though, I thought this way was supposed to be less waste? I don't waste that much with my method. One day I will try this method and determine for myself which way actually works better.
Vids or it didn't happen! I don't know how they can claim less waste.........we probably use 16"of laminate and 6" of vinyl to web up a fresh roll. And I could probably do it in 2 mins start to finish on our dinosaur GBC lol.

Humble PM

At $120/hr shop time, you've won yourself a beer, and the waistcoat to go with the t-shirt

JBurton

Signtologist
Then we'll both be scratching for the beginning of the masking tape roll...
If you do a lot of vinyl, and hate masking tape, 3m 8979 or 8979n is a crazy nice duct tape, removes clean, removes from premask without tearing/shearing the face of the mask apart. There used to be a review some guy had updated 3 or 4 times between 2012 and 2020 about the stuff, it was hilarious. I bought it from amazon warehouse a few times for $100/case, then they jacked the price to the moon or figured out they were losing money on it every time.

Humble PM

Last few years, I've been using a framing tape that plays very nicely. But I have several nice* heavy duty tape dispensers scattered around.

*unless you address them at the wrong angle, in which case they become psychotic evil bastards, and you spend the next few hours with tape, plus shop towel, plus nitriles, until you have to work with spinning things machine tools...

I'm very much in the market for a new 60/64" R2R aqueous and R2R laminator, so I'm not just here to pop bubbles

JBurton

Signtologist
Last few years, I've been using a framing tape that plays very nicely. But I have several nice* heavy duty tape dispensers scattered around.
Jeez, I thought $13/roll of 1" of 60 yds was high. What I'm pulling up is $17/roll and $21. Got a brand you recommend?

Humble PM

I suspect supplier is right pondian only, and when I say framing, I mean picture framing.

Boudica

We use the blue painters tape. keep it in the 2" and 1" variety. I've got rolls of it all over the place.
IDK how much it costs. I don't buy it.