• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Roller Width

kronos777

Im going to replace my Laminator, currently using an unsatisfying GBC 1600 with 8cm (3 [SUP]5[/SUP]/[SUB]32[/SUB] inch)
I'm intrested in either Seal 62 base or pro S. the base is 11cm (4 [SUP]21[/SUP]/[SUB]64[/SUB] inch) and the Pro S is 13 cm (5 [SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]8[/SUB] inch)
I had a lot of problems with my laminator (mainly, I guess, because it has preset heights of 15, 12, 10, 5, 1.5 mm, which didn't always suite the used media). I want to do face mounting on plexiglass and I have read that roller width is a major factor in the sucess of this application.

Can anyone share their wisdom on roller width and it's importance? is the difference between the base and the Pro S is important enough to shell the extra sum? Can I do successfully face mounting with the seal base?

Thank you
Ori

AF

Larger diameter has many advantages. For example, the rollers will be much stiffer and thus have far fewer issues with material feed. Steel rollers are even better than aluminum because they hold heat better as you feed material (think cast iron skillet vs. aluminum pan). Steel will be stiffer than aluminum as well. Some machines use heavy steel rollers on pneumatic rams for instant open and close. On some of these, the weight of the roller creates the pressure on the material so the pressure is consistent and evenly distributed across the roller. Flat rollers are another consideration as compared to crowned. Also, you need to decide if you will be using thermal laminates or psa only, and if psa only will you get top heat or cold. Then of course is the domestic versus china argument. Your budget will dictate. Make sure you base your budget on machine cost, replacement interval and material waste due to performance issues with the design of the machine. A poorly engineered laminator will eat material like crazy.

kronos777

Base vs pro

I do understand that bigger is better, and I am replacing a laminator that ate through quite enough of material. the big question is, does the difference between the base and the pro in roller width is important? is there something that cannot be done, or done poorly, with the Seal base? is this less than an Inch crucial?