• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laser Distance Measurer

bigben

Hi group,

I would like to know what you think about using a laser distance measurer for signs that are above the ground or vehicles. It would be easier than go up there or have a second person to hold the tape.

I'm about to buy the bosh GLR225. It's 1/16 accurate.

What do you think?

signage

First thing is make sure they work in sunlight. Next what it the accuracy of them when not being shot perpendicular to the sureface being measured.

GB2

Old Member
The Bosch works great and is very accurate, it isn't very handy for measuring signs though. It needs to hit the thing you're measuring and if you're trying to measure a sign then there's nothing to hit. It's ideal for something like measureing rooms where you just point it at an opposite wall.

bigben

The Bosch works great and is very accurate, it isn't very handy for measuring signs though. It needs to hit the thing you're measuring and if you're trying to measure a sign then there's nothing to hit. It's ideal for something like measureing rooms where you just point it at an opposite wall.

Here is an example. I have a 10ftX20ft sign that is at 25ft in the air. I want to know the exact size. Does it will work?

letterman7

Probably not, since the unit works on a reflected beam. You would need to calculate the sign size by taking the measurement from the bottom of the sign to the Bosch, the distance to the top of the sign to the Bosch and figuring out the height using those two vectors (basic geometry, but I flunked that). And that's assuming you can hit a point on the sign that you can get a reading from.

bigben

Probably not, since the unit works on a reflected beam. You would need to calculate the sign size by taking the measurement from the bottom of the sign to the Bosch, the distance to the top of the sign to the Bosch and figuring out the height using those two vectors (basic geometry, but I flunked that). And that's assuming you can hit a point on the sign that you can get a reading from.

Are your sure? Because it seems to calculate it by itself: http://www.protoolreviews.com/reviews/hand-tools/measuring/bosch-glr225-laser-distance-measure

bigben

I use one and its a great tool all round for measuring.Accurate within 1/16"

And did you ever try something lime my example? If it work on concrete, drywalls, etc. Why it would not work for a sign?

Custom_Grafx

And did you ever try something lime my example? If it work on concrete, drywalls, etc. Why it would not work for a sign?

It will work but you need to know the angle you are pointing the beam to the top point of the sign from the origin of the laser source - your hand.

I hope you're good at trigonometry! I also hope you have a method to calculate the angle at which you hold the laser at.

I also hope that the wall you are measuring, which has the sign on it, is 100% perpendicular to the theoretically "flat" ground you're standing on.

While we're at it, let's also hope that the sign you are measuring is flat against the wall.

With a few formulas and a Macgyver on your installation team, I'm sure you'll be able to get some reliable measurements.

If I had Macgyver on my team though, I'd just tell him to get his bum up there and measure it.

My 2c.

bigben

It will work but you need to know the angle you are pointing the beam to the top point of the sign from the origin of the laser source - your hand.

I hope you're good at trigonometry! I also hope you have a method to calculate the angle at which you hold the laser at.

I also hope that the wall you are measuring, which has the sign on it, is 100% perpendicular to the theoretically "flat" ground you're standing on.

While we're at it, let's also hope that the sign you are measuring is flat against the wall.

With a few formulas and a Macgyver on your installation team, I'm sure you'll be able to get some reliable measurements.

If I had Macgyver on my team though, I'd just tell him to get his bum up there and measure it.

My 2c.

If you go read the link I've put above, or the manufacturer web site, it seems to to the math by itself. Even if you can't have the start point at the same place of the end point. This is why I'm asking the question because it seems to be too good to be true.

I've send an email to Bosch with the question to see what they say, but I was looking for someone who own one or have tried it out.

Typestries

This thread enlightened me to a new tool, but, I have a simpler solution. Go to pool store, buy extendable pool pole. Cable tie or bolt angle bracket to end. Cable tie fat daddy big number tape measure to that. Bingo, long arm tape measure, no need to get your ladder out to do a quick survey.

If you need longer reach, get roof rake poles from the hardware store (might be tough to find in the summer).

The digital camera method works well, too, but you'd better have your planes in order to get an accurate calculated measurement.

Fitch

I bought a Leica Disto http://www.laserdistoshop.com.au/d3a.html in Denver when I was there a few years ago.

They will work for what you want AND if you get the UV glasses - can be used in sunlight. Obviously you need to see the beam to set each of the coordinates.

It is also advisable to set on a tripod, as if you move left or riight of the origin (first set point) then the unit will give inaccurate measurements.

I had it for about 2 years and never used it - sold it.

Great idea but nothing beats the comfort of knowing you have measured an area and a sign will fit first time. Redoing a sign because it doesnt fit could be a huge expense. Especially when you get pi$$ed off with the laser measure and throw it in the river.

Cheers - G