• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laser engraved clear glass painted in logo

Craig Keller

Has anyone tried to paint in the engraved lettering on a clear glass cup? Suggestions? I know on metal sandblasted logo cups some people use gun metal paint and bake it in.

Help anyone did this?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Laser etching produces microscopic craters that still remain polished due to the high temperature. There is little "tooth" for the paint to hold.

A sandblasted etching, produces a microscopic "terrain" to which the paint holds fast.

The opacity between the two types of etchings is also vastly different.

JB

JBurton

Signtologist
Furthermore, acid etching is a thing, uncertain how it compares mechanically, but physically, I understood it to be very similar to sandblasting.

James Burke

Furthermore, acid etching is a thing, uncertain how it compares mechanically, but physically, I understood it to be very similar to sandblasting.
Yes, it is. But you can control the texture better with sandblasting (coarser or finer, depending on abrasive).

JB

James Burke

After acid you can fill in with paint?
Acid etching leaves a very fine texture that may or may not hold paint. I've never tried it. Sandblasting is able to produce a considerable amount of depth, which will further help hold paint.

JB

MikePro

crap, i mindlessly started ranting about my experiences with chemical etching on metal, no experiences with glass etching here. :(

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The real question might be...... is it dishwasher safe ?? Meaning, when it goes in there and water and soap going all over the place, are any of those chemicals being thrown and then dried onto other eating items, such as for very small children ??