• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Laser Machine Newbie

MiguelGonzalez

Hello guys, so I plan on adding a laser machine to the shop, I want to use it for engraving intricate designs and large signs. Trotec, Epilog and Universal laser(chinese) are the machines that are readily available in my area. As i have no experience with laser I hace some questions, if would could help me.
1. How do different watt machines affect the final product?
2. Can a larger machine produce intricate designs and small fonts like a smaller machine (Or does the size doesn't matter)?
3. Can one machine be both fiber and CO2 or do I need a separate machine?
4. Your thoughts on Chinese Machines? I've read positive reviews for its price specifically Universal Laser.

fixtureman

If you are doing engraving then the Trotec would be the one to go with. It may be the most expensive but the speed will pay for itself in a long run.

johnnysigns

I don't do much engraving, but we do a lot of logos/letters that are adhesive backed. We went with a Thunder laser. I'd run a boss laser for approximately 5yrs a colleague of mine owned and they're honestly pretty simple to operate.
1. Wattage is going to dictate how fast your feed rates are for cutting primarily. If you're just engraving you don't need to max out the laser wattage available for that machine, but if you're intending to cut/engrave I'd get the most powerful wattage you can afford.
2. Larger or small shouldn't matter in terms of the intricacy. Servo motors Vs stepper motors should engrave faster and give better edge quality on curved paths. There's a difference I can see in the logos we've cut on the boss laser (stepper motors) Vs our Thunder with servo motors.
3. Honestly not sure.
4. Thunder, boss and a lot of the smaller brands are Chinese manufactured. I don't know how those stack up against something like a trotec for engraving, but my sense is the trotec will be faster.

Broome Signs

hi, we have just upgraded to the Trotec
was a toss up between the r500 and the epilog, went with the Trotec as it has the bigger bed

don't get hung up on the wattage all lasers work on speed + power
you will need to work out both combinations depending on what you are doing
what you really need is there better laser sores unit
we went for the ceramic 90 watt
if you can afford it go for the fiber and co2 RF

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Fibre & Co2 - dual machines exist, but separate will be better.
Just like you can get dual cnc routers & lasers - but they will do one ok, and one poorly. Separate is better.

MiguelGonzalez

Thanks,
I don't do much engraving, but we do a lot of logos/letters that are adhesive backed. We went with a Thunder laser. I'd run a boss laser for approximately 5yrs a colleague of mine owned and they're honestly pretty simple to operate.
1. Wattage is going to dictate how fast your feed rates are for cutting primarily. If you're just engraving you don't need to max out the laser wattage available for that machine, but if you're intending to cut/engrave I'd get the most powerful wattage you can afford.
2. Larger or small shouldn't matter in terms of the intricacy. Servo motors Vs stepper motors should engrave faster and give better edge quality on curved paths. There's a difference I can see in the logos we've cut on the boss laser (stepper motors) Vs our Thunder with servo motors.
3. Honestly not sure.
4. Thunder, boss and a lot of the smaller brands are Chinese manufactured. I don't know how those stack up against something like a trotec for engraving, but my sense is the trotec will be faster.
How strong is the adhesive on the adhesive backed acrylic? one sign maker in my area used super glue and i dont know if the glue is not strong enough or that they messed up the process cuz the letters would fall easily. And is there anyway to protect formation of algae inside a letter of a 3d sign

bigben

I have a thunder laser since last november. I have the 63inX40in 130w. I use it mainly to cut and engrave acrylic to make signalizations in buildings. Price wise, it was 1/3 of trotec. From the test/demo I've made, yes trotec is better but not for that price difference. Plus, I have a local company that sell and service them. Within an hour I was able to work with it (it's similar to a vinyl cutter) and it took me about a month to figure all the right setting. Especially to have a polish edge on acrylic. The machine paid itself on the first job I've done.

johnnysigns

Thanks,

How strong is the adhesive on the adhesive backed acrylic? one sign maker in my area used super glue and i dont know if the glue is not strong enough or that they messed up the process cuz the letters would fall easily. And is there anyway to protect formation of algae inside a letter of a 3d sign
Miguel, we're not building up 3D letters, we're just cutting flat acrylic into letters. I think you're talking about full acrylic letters and returns all out of acrylic. It's something we've done, but it is a pain in the neck to do for all the intricate bending. Most places I see doing those on youtube or instagram are using 'super glue' to join the returns to the letter faces. The finished look is similar to metal channel letters. I would imagine if you drilled holes in the bottom returns of the letters to let water out so algae and any funky stuff doesn't start growing.

AndreaRotela

What can I say...

Fiber optic and CO2 laser machines cannot be put together because they have different beam delivery technology, i.e. they are designed for different applications.

If you plan to cut wood, plastic, acrylic, rubber, fabric, paralon, etc. - If you are planning to cut wood, plastic, acrylic, rubber, fabric, paralon, etc., then a CO2 laser is the perfect machine for you.
A CNC fiber laser machine is perfect for working with metals.

Chinese machines nowadays are as good as premium German machines. Only these machines are several times cheaper and so are the consumables. I have two Wattsan machines and am completely satisfied with the quality and reliability of these machines. Look at the site of their equipment. Proper CNC machines.