• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LCD Monitor shuts off after 1 sec.

Doyle

Maybe this thing is garbage, I don't know, just thought I would check to see if anyone knew what the problem could be.

I came into the shop this morning to a black (blank) monitor screen (I leave it on all the time). The little green light is still on, and if I turn the monitor off and then back on, the monitor will work for about 1 second then the screen goes black again. This tells me that the backlight is still working, and screen might still be good, but I can't get it to stay on. I am not exactly savvy at working on electronics but I am willing to swap out a little part here and there if I have to. Does anyone know what the problem might be? And if it is worth fixing?

I already went to best buy this morning and picked up a new monitor (20" widescreen for $99) but if I can save this one, I will keep it as a spare or find some other way of using it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

all_things_art

same thing happened to mine,i took it apart ,cleaned out the dust that had built up inside,put it back together and placed a small desk fan blowing into the vents on the top...that was about a year ago.

joeshaul

I would also recommend just taking it apart, cleaning it up, put it back together. Sometimes contacts are loose/dirty and the worst that can happen is you break what was broken.

If you're feeling really tinkerish and that doesn't work, look carefully at the capacitors, given the symptoms I'd say one of them is probably bulging/blown.

choucove

We had an Acer monitor a few years back that started doing this same thing. When it was turned on it would show the Acer logo for a fraction of a second and then nothing. In our case, the power light also shut off just a second or so after the screen went blank. I was going to open it up and see what was wrong, but that is when I noticed that there was a slight electrical buzz inside the screen when turning it on that wasn't there before. We ended up just replacing the monitor as we needed to get something bigger for a design monitor anyways, and they were cheap enough to warrant an upgrade.

Doyle

When it comes on what is it showing?

Could it be a video card?

It shows the correct display from the pc when it turns on for the brief second. It is not a problem with the pc as I have already hooked up a new monitor and it is working fine.

Thanks for the replies, I might take it apart and clean it, I'm sure it is dusty as hell.

veloxgraphics

I fix this issue at my other job all the time. Ends up being a transistor going out. I replace them all (because they are dirt cheap) and 90% of the time it works every time.