• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Learning Sublimation

SoIllsignman

I just bought the Epson WorkForce 1100 at Staples For $80 (plus Tax). They had a deal last week..$100 off!

I bought a CIS and sublimation ink here

So I got the whole set up for a lil over $200.

This is my first attempt at sublimation.....as soon as the ink comes in..GAME ON!

maskman

We have been doing sublimation for about a year or so. We have had alot of success with the local soccer teams because its not heavy on the hand , as vinyl is

The big thing is to remember a 50/50 shirt will look faded. and its better to test the shirt first.

WildWestDesigns

We have been doing sublimation for about a year or so. We have had alot of success with the local soccer teams because its not heavy on the hand , as vinyl is

The big thing is to remember a 50/50 shirt will look faded. and its better to test the shirt first.

There shouldn't be any hand at all with sublimation. They might be feeling the fabric around the design and thinking that it belongs to the design.

It is very good for sport type customers as well, because of the moisture wickering properties that are actually becoming a trend for even embroidered polo shirts as well.

BobCap

Another way to go

We do a lot of sublimation. I have to admit we use an Epson Workforce 30 printer with a CIS added on.

No, it won't work with cotton shirts.

We use one of two methods to do cotton.

#1 - Laser transfers. Laser print on to transfer paper, then heat transfer to the shirt. You can get papers to go on light & dark shirts. If you are going on to dark shirts you will need a way to cut around the image, unless you want a bigh white square in the background. I use a graphtec 8000 cutter and contour cut the image.

#2 - Eco solvent print onto vinyl. They have vinyls (Sihl 3197 is one of my favorites) that you can do full color printing on, contour cut, heat apply to the shirt. Not as soft a hand...as sublimation, but it works well.

Although I do like the "Retro" look you get by sublimating on 50/50 shirts. Cool, try it.

And don't be afraid to break the rules and try sublimation on "other" things. You might be surprised at the results...

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

HaroldDesign

Sorry to be a thread pirate, but I think my question goes well with the dialog in this thread.
Is there a transfer paper for thermal transfers? For example, if I were to contour cut printed lettering that is not reverse printed, is there a transfer paper to get that onto the shirt just like vinyl lettering to a window? :wink: