• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Lettering a 53 foot semi-trailer

John HC

Hello all,
been a while since I posted - just had my feelers out to see if anyone would be willing to contribute - this is my first time quoting on a semi-trailer install job. This is a 53 footer. The majority of the job is cut vinyl. There is an area in the center of the sides that is about 7.5 ft tall x 25ft long - 4 lines of text of varying heights - includes company name, telephone number, website - slogan. It is all single colors. There's no shadows or logos in this section. There's another section about 7.5 ft tall x 5.5 ft wide. just a vector symbol 2 overlapping colors - geometric shape nothing fancy or detailed.. Towards the other end a more detailed graphic covering full height of the trailer - this graphic is about 8ft tall x 10ft wide - will be done in 2 overlapping panels, print, lam, contour cut - so the detail will be printed on white, basic perimeter cut.

Pricing the majority in Avery 700 - just a very basic layout - so far sides only. with install, this is coming out to around $2400
There will be 2 of us working on the install, onsite at customer's location. Does this seem too low?
I appeal to your experience in the field and appreciate your input.

Thanks everyone

bannertime

Maybe closer to $3,500. I'm showing closer to $2,500 in material alone. That's just using overall size and not counting for actual material usage. Also not really factoring in on site install. Hard to say really. Now that I think about it, we could be anywhere from 2,500 to 5,000.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you're low. I didn't do the calculations, but we get more than that for 24 and 26 footers with die-cut and very little digital prints.

Andy D

You list the area size, but it's hard to say without knowing the actual square footage of vinyl being used...Have you figured that out yet?

John HC

I think you're low. I didn't do the calculations, but we get more than that for 24 and 26 footers with die-cut and very little digital prints.

Yeah, I run the pricing through software first. As soon as it totaled I thought it was a little low. Thanks for your input, Gino. Have a great day.

ams

Be aware that rivets SUCK. Add a few extra hours of installation to your quote because of them. Full wrap is easier than doing cut vinyl, because transfer tape doesn't play nice with them.

modernimagesigns

ams is correct. Rivets and the "ribs" are very time consuming. I am doing a 200 truck fleet, 2'x10' printed graphic, run at a 45 degree angle on the front of the trailers. Just in that small area, I encounter 12-16 ribs and on average 60 rivets. Takes about 45 minutes per side to install simple 20 sq. foot piece. Make sure you add time into your bid!

2B

ams is correct. Rivets and the "ribs" are very time consuming. I am doing a 200 truck fleet, 2'x10' printed graphic, run at a 45 degree angle on the front of the trailers. Just in that small area, I encounter 12-16 ribs and on average 60 rivets. Takes about 45 minutes per side to install simple 20 sq. foot piece. Make sure you add time into your bid!

exactly, the type and condition of the trailer has a MAJOR factor in the pricing of the project

That sounds way low, especially when dealing with corrugations and rivets. Just out of curiosity, I see Avery 700 is a calendered vinyl. Are you sure this is the best type of film for the job? I only use air release cast vinyl like 3M 1080 or Orajet 3951RA on corrugated and riveted trailers. Some might say that's overkill, but it's a helluva lot easier to install and I just heat and roll the rivets with a Rollepro.

signman315

Signmaker
Yep I'd say that's pretty low....it's important to stay competitive and treat clients fairly but you can't price yourself out of business. Without all the details it's really tough to say what a price should be but for example my company does FULL printed coverage on 53' trailers regularly and we are getting over $10,000 each. And we've been told we are low and that our competitors are pricing them at $15,000 plus. But that's full coverage, all printed and laminated with high performance vinyl and a lot of ribs/obstacles. If I were doing say 60% coverage using all/most cut vinyl in 2-3 colors total I would probably have it more at the $4000-5000 range. But there are so many variables that from job to job there is a very wide range. I price it more based on time than the material, material is pretty inexpensive if you work good deals with your vendors. But you have to consider how much time your shop is occupied and not doing other work when you price a wrap job. I think to myself if an employee(s) that I'm dedicating to a wrap job for 3-5 day were back at my shop making other projects how much profit would that employee generate? And is that worse/better than the profit being generated while they are occupied on the wrap job, and adjust the price accordingly. I also sometimes check my pricing by doing the math as if I only took on that job for the whole year....i.e. if I wrapped 53' trailers every day, all day, for a year....then what would my budget/profit look like? At $2500 per trailer you'd probably be better off saving your money and getting out of the business, maybe take a vacation haha! Because I bet it will be a wash at the end of the year after paying for employees, insurances, and all the other business expenses. But if your company shows profit and can sustain at that rate then you are running a tight ship and keep up the good work! In summary I'd say it's low compared to your competitors and in relation to your company's financial needs.

signman315

Signmaker
That sounds way low, especially when dealing with corrugations and rivets. Just out of curiosity, I see Avery 700 is a calendered vinyl. Are you sure this is the best type of film for the job? I only use air release cast vinyl like 3M 1080 or Orajet 3951RA on corrugated and riveted trailers. Some might say that's overkill, but it's a helluva lot easier to install and I just heat and roll the rivets with a Rollepro.
I also agree with this...air release cast is the way to go...you will save so much BS/time on install that it will pay for itself over the extra cost you would save on a cheaper/calendared vinyl. Not to mention you are providing a superior product to your client...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:roflmao: You think 98% of the members here are worried AT ALL about giving their customers a superior product ??

Surely you jest. Have you seen the vast majority of questions in this place ?? I want cheap ink, I want cheap vinyl, I want cheap heads, I want cheaper options........ etc. :popcorn:

signman315

Signmaker
:roflmao: You think 98% of the members here are worried AT ALL about giving their customers a superior product ??

Surely you jest. Have you seen the vast majority of questions in this place ?? I want cheap ink, I want cheap vinyl, I want cheap heads, I want cheaper options........ etc. :popcorn:
Perhaps Gino, I'm just here to provide/receive the best advice and not judge anybody. How folks operate is their business and their concern. I just enjoy passing on what I've learned through the years in case it might help somebody or in case it might help elevate our industry as whole by providing those less educated with a little guidance towards a better path. And also to appreciate the plenty of good/smart people on the forums. Isn't the purpose of a forum to allow little and big fish alike to swim in the same sea and benefit from each other's interactions? Maybe I smoked a few too many doobies this morning, getting a little too deep lol! Call em as you see em and let the chips fall where they may...