• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering an 18yr old box van (chalky fiberglass)

DeVries Signs

I just got a 1994 Ford box van with a Supreme box on it, and I will definitely have some adhesion problems if I use the "usual" prep methods. I tried wiping it with Xylene, and it helped...but the Gerber 220 still isn't sticking enough, IMO. I can remove the piece of vinyl and the chalky residue comes off on the back of the vinyl. I can post pics if needed...

Anything I can prep this with myself so I can letter it?? Or will it need to be repainted first??

Thanks!!

ThinkRight

Rubbing compound and a buffer to take of the oxidation.
Then was with dish soap.
Then charge the guy Xtra

DeVries Signs

Rubbing compound and a buffer to take of the oxidation.
Then was with dish soap.
Then charge the guy Xtra

Yeah, that's what I'm coming up with now as well. I will try an area tomorrow on it and see how well the vinyl sticks. I just told him it would be $200-$300 to compound and prep it all and he said "ok"...

LarryB

Have you tried wiping surface down with 3M Prep Solvent 70? Follow up with rubbing alcohol. That is what we normally use for chalky surfaces and have had good luck.

DeVries Signs

Have you tried wiping surface down with 3M Prep Solvent 70? Follow up with rubbing alcohol. That is what we normally use for chalky surfaces and have had good luck.

No I haven't, Larry...just with Xylene so far. I will try that tomorrow first though...sounds easier than buffing! :banghead:

visual800

Belive it or not we have washed them with soft scrub bathroom cleaner and one of the rough bath scrunchies, i have been impressed with the results