• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lexan Circle

pixel_pusher

My customer wants a 24" circular lexan sign with a digital print mounted to the outside and a hole drilled in the center. They plan to mount it to a faceplate on a post so that it can be spun like the wheel of fortune or something. I have a guy who will create the 24" circular lexan blank with a router. Now, I have to figure out the best way to mount the graphic which is the same size and shape.

Any ideas how best to mount the graphic? Big squeegee?

Also, do you guys see any red flags here, or is there a better way to create the sign than what I've described here?

I would use the hinge method and work from the center out...

Or... if you really wanted to use the big squeegee in the standard way: Get the whole piece of lexan back from your router guy (circle and square piece with circle hole...) Drop the circle in the hole, line everything up and mount away. Then use a blade to cut the graphic and your circle out of the hole.

Is that clear?

pixel_pusher

I'll probably use the hinge method, and try to be really careful about centering everything.

Do you think there are any structural issues with the method I've described? As long as the hole is drilled dead center and the customer uses the proper hardware to mount it (and I'm not exactly sure what to suggest), it seems that the sign should go on spinning for years to come...right?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As long as the wheel has a good bearings mechanism in the center.... it should spin freely for a long time. I've seen them made from wood, aluminum, all kinds of plastics and they all depend on that center bearing assembly.

+1 on the bearing...

I wouldn't just put a bolt through it and hope everything keeps spinning... it would be best if they had some sort of bearing to spin on.

Fitch

What is the best way to mount a 24" piece of vinyl?

Are you serious?

Go get a job where you don't have to think and insult others intelligence.

OMG

What is the best way to mount a 24" piece of vinyl?

Are you serious?

Go get a job where you don't have to think and insult others intelligence.

OMG

Ouch... I think it is more the thought of mounting a decal to a perfect circle...

Why would you bother to comment except to be a d-bag? Troll. Does it make you feel better about yourself to knock down someone who is just asking for a little advice?

personally i think this whole project should be re thought..unless this is for a kindergarten class or something like that but lexan wouldnt be my first choice of materials for this project and am curious why it is being used here?

sfr table hockey

My customer wants a 24" circular lexan sign with a digital print mounted to the outside and a hole drilled in the center. They plan to mount it to a faceplate on a post so that it can be spun like the wheel of fortune or something. I have a guy who will create the 24" circular lexan blank with a router. Now, I have to figure out the best way to mount the graphic which is the same size and shape.

Any ideas how best to mount the graphic? Big squeegee?

Also, do you guys see any red flags here, or is there a better way to create the sign than what I've described here?

It would have been easier to mount the image to a peice and then cut the circle out with a band saw and then sand the rest to the edge. It will be hard to match the exact 24" circle to a 24" pre cut circle and have it line up bang on. If the vinyl stretches you will be off a bit no matter what.

You might want to re make the vinyl part a bit bigger 24 1/2" and then just cut off the overhang and unless you have a boarder line in the design you won't notice if its a bit off where if you have a blank space you would see it.

I have done some small oval "sales", " Parts" signs with brushed chrome on lexan and cut out with a band saw and did find laying them wet was better for getting the air bubbles out for me.

BobM

I would laminate a second layer of Lexan, about 8" diameter, to the 24" circle to give a better bearing surface to the wheel. Spray on a litte Rapid Tac II and stick down the vinyl.

SignManiac

I mount all my prints first then cut to profile on the router table afterwards. While your at it, print a lifesize stand up of Vanna to go along beside the wheel.

pixel_pusher

Thanks for the tips, guys...and yes, the question was about applying a 24" circle graphic to a 24" lexan cookie. I'll have to remember to try the air hose next time, though!

If I were to mount and then carve out the circle with a router, wouldn't the graphic get mangled in the process? Nice tip about attaching a smaller circle to the center. That would give the whole thing more stability and maybe even make it spin a little smoother. It is basically going to be used by kindergartners, which is why I chose lexan for its smooth sturdiness.

i would much rather use 1/2" or 1" expanded pvc myself.

i've applied more exact to size oddball shape decals than i care to remember. if you can apply prior cutting obviously it is easier..but applying to a cut shape is not a big deal. mask your graphic so that you minimize any stretching if you are not an experienced installer and if need be soak it with application fluid if you are worried about positioning.

if you are considering cutting this without a cnc router. if it was not a circle that was going to be 'spun' but just a sign mounted to the wall i would have no problem cutting it with a bandsaw, jigsaw, whatever and then sanding it as needed. but because of the final application 'if' i was going to cut it by hand i would first cut a template to size and then tape it down to your substrate and using a template bit http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1277239868_30837+47 cut it out and it will come out exactly like your template...no sanding no jagged edges..done.

i've used lazy susan bearings twice and had issues with both of them.

you can also purchase 1/2" thick 24" round game wheels with stand and base with teh little pegs that click as it goes by the winning 'arrow' for a benjamin franklin.