• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lexon broke

mark galoob

i am replacing a sign face for a business and i was taking the lexon out of its home and a piece of the corner broke...

size is 9ft by 23" lexon 1/8".

my question is this is a part of the sign no text or any graphics is on...can i cut the lexon down to 8ft and put in a 1 ft piece...if so, how do i cut the lexon...any special blade needed?

replacing whole piece is way to costly...

mark galoob

Jillbeans

Not sure what to tell you about the patch, but I know when I knocked off the corner flange of a pan-face lexan sign folks here told me to use #16 Weld-On adhesive and it worked like a charm.
Love.....Jill

J Hill Designs

yeah just glue the corner back on...weldon barely works but does on lexan, should be fine if it's either a) the top corner, and theres no hanger rail, or b) bottom corner if there is one ('cause there would be no stress on it)

Mosh

You sure it is lexan? I have never "broke" a corner off of lexan. We even bent it on our brake into shapes, with NO HEAT. I bet it is plex.
Weld #3 the piece back on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1/8" sounds a little too thin for this application, but since it was supplied to you it has no bearing on your situation. However, since they did supply you with the substrate [unbroken] I believe you are responsible for giving the customer what they bargained for. Asking the customer if they'll accept a patch job should not enter the equation' either. Besides, it will show. If you're a responsible shop owner or bushiness person, you will provide a piece unbroken at you own cost. This will serve to remind you to be careful when doing this in the future.

Based on your profile, it looks as if you might've gotten into something a little over your head and didn't prepare properly. Better luck next time, but don't make your customer bear the brunt of your lack of competence or skill.

Last edited:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
You sure it is lexan? I have never "broke" a corner off of lexan. We even bent it on our brake into shapes, with NO HEAT. I bet it is plex.
Weld #3 the piece back on.

i've used a ton of lexan, and it is super tough. but i have on two occations broke a corner off...

very freakish, it has to be a hard impact

Gino

Premium Subscriber
i've used a ton of lexan, and it is super tough. but i have on two occations broke a corner off...

very freakish, it has to be a hard impact

Or old. Once it's been weathered a few years, it loses almost all of its structural 'giveness' and goes on to become about as brittle as regular acrylic. We've also broken old and new alike.

My one employee was at a show some years back where the salesperson was demonstrating how strong the Lexan stuff was and he bashed it with a hammer and it exploded. Had the Lexan seal right on it so there was no mistake.

So, since the OP was redecorating an old piece of material.... he must've handled it wrong.

Mosh

Bone up and buy a new panel. Only professional thing to do. I would not even consider a patch, unless it was like a 1/2 chip in the corner that will be hidden by the retainer.

Do-Over

If it were me I would replace the piece rather than cobb it. But thats just me. Also 1/8" is too thin for 9'. It should be 1/4" or better yet 3/8".

signmeup

What do mean by "corner"? did you snap off a 3" piece or 2 foot piece? I'd glue it back on if it was a 3" piece.

good grief i agree with this mosh character...unless you can correctly adhere that piece that broke off (meaning it is adhered in a manner that it is not hokey) and you can disguise it in a manner (cover it with vinyl in the design of the sig) that you can not see it or it is hidden by retainer..and then i would still be reluctant to do so.

this is why we do not reuse sign panels.

mark galoob

bit more info for you all...

this is plexi not lexon...1/4 " approx 3" on corner broke off...it will be able to be hidden by the sign facing.

ps, yes big learning curve, and next time im gonna do a bit differently...luckily not a huge expense...

mark galoob

thanks for all advise

Mosh

Sounds like all these "experts" knew what they where talking about. Good luck with it Mark.

Experts and smart a$$'s....LOL