• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LG laminate unusually tough?

Colin

I've been using the LG 3810 and 3910 print media with their corresponding laminates, and I find that when I do a print-lam-cut, the force required to cut properly is very high - even with a newer blade.

Might I find a brand of calendered that doesn't feel like "tough-guard", or are they all pretty much alike?

rjssigns

Try 3M IJ180 with 8518 or 8519 lam. We cut at 190g with our Roland.

I thought LG was getting out of our market?

the graphics co

190? wow that is high, i cut that with a 60 deg blade at about 120-130 pending on how new the blade is.

For calendered stuff that is up around 5-8mils with laminate i am running the 60 degree blade at around 180-190 also on a roland. It is all pretty thick 3-4 mils for the laminate and the cal vinyl is usually 3-4 mils as well in my experience.

rjssigns

Yeah it does sound high doesn't it? But I can't be sure it is really 190g either, and we're using a 45 degree blade.

Colin

With this calendered vinyl & lam, I'm at 280 with a not too old (45 degree) blade.

Last edited:

Colin

Yeah that sounds like a lot. With lam, I usually don't ever go over 190ish.

In my first post of this thread I failed to mention that I've only had and been using a 45 degree blade with my SP540i so far, but for simple contour cuts the force required seems high. I know that a 60 will help, but still....