• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Light table ideas

DizzyMarkus

Hello,

Anyone that has a light table , would you be so kind to share your ideas please? maybe a pic or two :0)

I have several ideas and wondered what "working" wise has worked out for you folks that use them. 3/4" plywood table top. Thinking of cutting a 36"x36" square out of one side and mounting lights under that side -- essentialy one half -- think 1/4" plate will span the 36" x 36" square cut out? Should I do this to both sides? What do you thinkis a safe opening for 1/4" plate to span and be safe? My 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plate will be here tommorow :thumb:

thank you greatly,
Markus

letterman7

Built one years ago from 1x6 pine board, a plywood backer and a couple small under-cabinet fluorescent light fixtures wired together to a switch on the outside of the box. The top was 1/4" acrylic that I had sandblasted to a frost (could have used regular white but tried something different), and had the acrylic mounted flush to the top of the box using internal ribs along the inside of the box. The box itself was about 42" square and was more than stable enough. Your 36" square will be fine. Just mount the lights far enough away from the acrylic to avoid hot spots.

DizzyMarkus

Thank you for the response:

use it like a light buffer? Direct light is no good? that would support the plate more also :0) thank you

Markus

DizzyMarkus

(letterman7)Your post showed after I posted hehe -- thank you for the "hot spots" prolly two 36" flos under, switched. I'ld prolly line around the lights with a 1x6 pine flat black underneath too

thank you
Markus

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
i have a massive one. holds six fluro lamps with a custom 2x4 frame. table is 60"x84" real glass spray painted with frosted glass. works too well. drop shadows fall right into place. everyshop should have at least one. (-;

DizzyMarkus

I was thinking something along these lines -- lol colors are not correct :0) sizes are. I expanded it to 40" and threw a quickie together

Thank you,
Markus

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 81