• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighted Cabinet

DizzyMarkus

I have always ordered the cabinets pre-made etc--- what do you guys that have used the "knock down" kits think of them? Also those that have and are on the east coast--- maybe a link to a supplier? I will be needing 2x 4' x 10' polycarb faced cabinets with fluorescent lighting. From what I understand there is considerable savings this way. Thank you for any info given

Markus

Kottwitz-Graphics

I get my knock down kits from Harbor Sales. They go together pretty quickly, just pay attention to the details, like the corners fitting tight.

Kottwitz-Graphics

They are not UL. UL is a certification that is given to the sign shop, not the pieces.

If you require UL, then you have to buy from a UL Listed shop, but if you don't need a UL cabinet, this is the way to go.

If you build it correctly, ie. Ballast on the top of the cabinet, all the wiring inside the supplied raceways, and stub out of a connector, you shouldn't have any issues, as far as durability.

J Hill Designs

They are not UL. UL is a certification that is given to the sign shop, not the pieces.

If you require UL, then you have to buy from a UL Listed shop, but if you don't need a UL cabinet, this is the way to go.

If you build it correctly, ie. Ballast on the top of the cabinet, all the wiring inside the supplied raceways, and stub out of a connector, you shouldn't have any issues, as far as durability.

NEC requires UL no matter what, though, correct?

Depends on your location. Not all cities require a Listed Sign be it MET/UL/ETL, but the NEC does call out for listed components.

If you have a polycarbonate face then you don't even need raceways, your electrical can dangle, and that's probably the best scenario for electronic ballasts. Don't tie your secondary output wires together to keep it neat, keep them loose and away from one another!

DizzyMarkus

Thank you for the input guys,

I priced them both ways--- roughly $1000 difference between built and knockdowns on 2 -- 4x10 cabinets. The price for these seems outrageous lol

thank you,
Markus