• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liners for vinyl films

Deco

Thanks in advance for an answer to a basic question. We are a window film dealer and typically work with polyester window films. However, regarding intermediate roll vinyl products (Oracal, Avery, 3M etc.) are all of the liners going to be paper? I'd like to avoid the cost of a high performance, premium vinyl but our installers prefer the plastic type liner.

Thanks again!

DesireeM

Just curious.... how does the liner factor into installation? I mean, why does the liner matter? Isn't it just there to protect the adhesive until install?

Also - can I get an example of a high performance premium film that uses a plastic liner?

Deco

To clarify, the job was specified for a particular polyester blackout window film on glass windows but a site visit determined they're a type of plastic window, decades old and some are curved. Polyester window films are not recommended for anything but glass and are always installed wet. The installers feel their finished vinyl installs look better when installed wet but have problems with the liner sticking if they get they get it wet. Thanks again!