• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

10sacer

Okay,

Have started my own company after 25 years in the industry and wrestled over all the design options for a logo - simple, reproduceable, scalable, easy to understand, adaptable to various print forms, etc.

As I was sketching out ideas - I had a happy accident where the interaction of the "D" and the "G" created the "E".

The drop shadow will be dropped for embroidery and small logo needs - its mostly for invoices and website.

I reduced the PDF size to load/download faster - so it may be a bit fuzzy

Please give your thoughts.

Attachments

• Final_DGE_Logo.pdf
    57 KB · Views: 137

GoodPeopleFlags

I like it! Looks like it can also be altered so it could be printed in 1 color. It took me a minute to see the "E" you were talking about, but once I did, it really stood out. So, it's a subtle effect, but nice. If I had to pick something I would change it would be the font for Express.

Joe Diaz

I like the direction. But I don't care for the main copy font choice. That is a personal opinion though. I kind of get what you are saying with the "E", but it mainly just reads "DG" which is still fine, the "E" is kind of a cool Where's Waldo type thing, like the fedex arrow.

dweinmann

Looks great! Well constructed, good use of colors. Typically, using three different fonts is bad, unless you have good reason for that third one. In this case, the third being part of the logo, it works.

I like that you've used a blocky font in the logo box and balanced that out with rounded characters for the name.

That said, here is what I don't like. Maybe it's just me, but your graphic looks like an iPhone app icon. Not that it doesn't look good, but I'm seeing a plethora of graphics that look like this lately. One of the local news channels here is using a graphic that resembles the iPhone app icon, too. Also, I recently printed a few grahics for a local charity that used a bunch of these 'icons.' Is anyone else noticing this at all?

I don't really have any suggestions for you, my first was going to be try a circle instead of the box, but that would negate what I said earlier. Sorry I don't have any real suggestions, but when I see your logo on the street, I'm not going to think sign shop/printer; I'm trying to figure out what it is your trying to get me to download on my phone.

10sacer

Logo

Yeah, I wrestled again over the font choice for both the Digital Graphics and the Express. I knew I didn't want anything with a serif - as it would conflict with the Sans Serif of the logo. I tried a couple of fonts that have similar look as the "DG" - with a sort of chrome effect - but would be difficult to reproduce at small sizes.

Any font suggestions are more than welcome.

Jillbeans

I just don't care for the font choice in Express.
If you used a nice script, you could eliminate the lines before the word too, because the script might imply speediness.
Love....jill

rjpjr

I like the Icon :thumb:, however I think the reflections and shadows underneath distract from the readability. I am not sure that the Express and speed lines are working for me either. Since you posted a pdf, I made a couple of quick tweaks.

Attachments

• Final_DGE_Logo.jpg
    Final_DGE_Logo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 72

Shovelhead

I just don't care for the font choice in Express.
If you used a nice script, you could eliminate the lines before the word too, because the script might imply speediness.
Love....jill

+1...and it would connote "excitement" and "motion" of the word "express".

dlndesign

Your logo look is good, but as for the bullets at the bottom those are hard to read. I'd look for soemthing that's pretty standard for that.

Marco

I like rjpjr's version, however, I totally lost the E from the start. I guess you can tell people the famous quote: "it's in there".

artbot

sorry but not a fan. it doesn't look like a seasoned professional's work. lose the reflection, the gleam, the bevels, the font changes, the layout. a logo is a brain tattoo. and this just doesn't tattoo the brain.

signgal

sorry but not a fan. it doesn't look like a seasoned professional's work. lose the reflection, the gleam, the bevels, the font changes, the layout. a logo is a brain tattoo. and this just doesn't tattoo the brain.

+1 I'm so glad you're being honest... I was thinking the same thing exactly but lack the self confidence in my opinion to voice it.

raider

2 cents - square off the vertical line on the left side of the "D" to convey the "G" is passing through it. In my limited experience, I shy away from shadows since they're tough to recreate with cut vinyl or t-shirt transfers. I like the simple DG and the clean/crisp copy!

10sacer

Logo

Yeah- you are all wrestling with the same issue I had. I like how the logo/icon turned out. I wanted it to represent an iPhone app becaus ethats what is hot right now. This logo will not last forever. It will morph as time goes by - just like AT&T and a host of others.

As I said before - the drop shadow is only there for stationery and website. It is droppable for screenprint and embroidery.

My original idea was to come up with something that was like a tattoo - that could be easily reproduced and recognizable.

I don't want it to say "signs" - as that is not ONLY what we do. Actually - most of the logos and brands I see on this sight and on websites say absolutely nothing about signs.

I will still work on the font - I chose BauHaus because it will enbroider nicely and not get lost in the shirt. Probably a poor reason to do so - but I see dozens of cases where someone didn't think ahead when designing and you can't read what it says on a shirt or a hat - much less a business card.

Thanks all,

Sean