• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lookin for a source for, or tips for making something like this...

versicolor

I've got a customer looking for something along the lines of the photos below. As far as the posts go, is there a good resource for something like these or would they be a DIY project?
1719520607916.png

1719520639810.png

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

DL Signs

Never go against the family
+1 for Foamcraft. That's who I use for signs like this. I'd go HDU, they have a ton of stock shapes to pick from, or do custom ones. Don't even have to paint them, they'll sent it finished and ready to hang.
Poles, do them yourself, or just sub it out to a local woodworking shop.
Other than designing it, you can make the rest as easy as assemble, install, and collect a check.

Johnny Best

This is a strange post for me. Sounds like a story as “I have a friend”.
showing a pic of wht they need and then asking info on your info where to get it at contractor prices. These signs have been made since the time of the revolutionary war. Now you can use newer material such as foam but come on, this is a community of sign people not a outsourse for inside information of getting something made. I am embarassed to think that someone with half a brain could not make this kind of sign.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
They're easy.

6x6 cedar for the upright, whatever length, width you want for the cross bar, simple cross lap joint to connect them, bolt together, an L bracket on top so it's hidden for added support (if needed), and you have it. Make it fancy? Bend some mild steel or aluminum flat bar stock for decoration, taper cut ends of poles, maybe some notch cuts for aesthetics, add a little paint & stain to protect it, put it in the ground and hang yer' sign.

There, custom decorative rustic wood hanging sign pole making 101 in 3 sentences. Class dismissed.
With that out of the way, I'm done for the week... Cheers:toasting:

versicolor

This poster does not info to build it, he wants inside info to get it made. He probably went to a sign shop to get it made and did not like them and the price.
Nope. I was looking for tips on how to construct it. However, all of the above information has been very helpful.

I know I never post here but I've been a member since 2014 and I own a small sign company.

Last edited:

Billct2

Simple project, 4x4s or 6x6 w/4'x4 or 4x6 arm, many options avialable.
Lap joint with glue and thru bolt (I use galvanized carriage bolts)
long eye bolts thru arm, again galvanized or stainless. You can add stock scroll brackets for decoration.
I often add a skirt board a few feet up around the base.
When I install them I use a piece of sono tube to create a collar of concrete a few inches out of the ground
to protect the post from landscapers.

JBurton

Signtologist
When I install them I use a piece of sono tube to create a collar of concrete a few inches out of the ground
to protect the post from landscapers.
What? Landscapers and Signmakers have a longstanding symbiotic relationship. We leave piles of dirt and bare concrete for them to 'landscape', they tear up signs for us to refrabicate. Don't mess with the circle of life!

John_Smith

Enjoying retirement in Central Florida
Versicolor - what kind of shop do you have?
There are two "vinyl" shops in my area that don't have space or the desire for metal or woodworking projects. So they (used to) farm it out to me.
If this is something that you would like to add to your repertoire, and make it profitable, seek out a "craftsman" in your immediate area who can make these for you. Meet with him/her in person to see what materials they can come up with, what is within their capabilities, time-frames, etc. The appropriate wood also MUST BE sealed, primed, and painted for extended periods of outdoor use with "minimal" maintenance. Buying from someone on the internet, to me, is taking a risk of what they use and how much care they put into their projects. Once it's in your hands, they are out of the equation for future anything. It's all on you.
Other than that, some jobs just aren't in everyone's wheelhouse and should be passed on.
Just my Dos Centavos here. All the best to you in your future endeavors.
John
Possible Resources:

Last edited: