• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking at setting up in business, advise needed please. (Apple mac user)

live4city

Hello, first of all, as I'm new to this forum and sign making, my name is Luke Bowen, I live in mid wales, I'm 20 years old and I currently have a business mobile car valeting, I have had this business for 2 years which has been a success, although I'd now like to expand to the sign making industry primarily sign writing vans.
I left school with good grades in Art and Graphics, and now I'd like to do something with it.

Currently I'm using an Apple iMac, I would be very great full for some help with choosing the appropriate software and plotter to get me set up to a standard.

Many thanks in advance for any help that may be provided.

Mosh

First thing get a PC, lot more sign software for PC. Little more to it than just getting a plotter! I would go see if you could get a part time job at a local sign shop and learn the trade.

Having only a plotter is going to put you about 10 years behind most sign shop. Most of us print/cut or wrap vehicles now-a-days.

SignManiac

Focus on learning to design. Without those skills, you are just a guy who sticks letters on flat things and that will not necessarily lead to success. Are you an artist or have you studied graphic design at all?

WildWestDesigns

Currently I'm using an Apple iMac, I would be very great full for some help with choosing the appropriate software and plotter to get me set up to a standard.

Many thanks in advance for any help that may be provided.

I would run something like Parrallels on your iMac, so you can run PC programs as well.

Now, it's probably not the most advisable thing, but I get by with Adobe products just fine. I had thought about Flexi, but couldn't justify the cost versus being able to do everything(so far) with Illustrator and CutStudio(software that came with my Roland Plotter, which is pretty basic).

I do agree with Mosh in that you want to do a little more then just die cut vinyl. I can do sublimation, embroidery and I just added a small CNC Machine as well. I'm hoping to play with the CNC in the upcoming weeks and have something to show everyone on here. It's just the small stuff though.

The more you can do and offer people the better off you are.

Mainframe

First off, you are on the right track as far as a computer, I run a 24" imac & it rocks for making signs, & as you well know,it just runs & runs, no fuss no muss, (there are 4 other Macs on my network & they all run the same) I run Parallels with windows xp to print on a VP 540, You can Command tab to any windows apps at will, Windows runs just like launching any program, they all show up in your dock. I would suggest getting your hands on Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop, & like previously mentioned, learn some design, one of the best ways is to get some type design books at the book store & also take pictures of vans & trucks you like & use those for reference when you design. As Mosh mentioned, you will struggle not having a full color outdoor printer in today's sign market, although you may find a good outsource partner, it will be a pain waiting for prints & there will be no room for error. You will have your hands full learning design, plotting graphics & installing all at once with no teacher, you will need a lot of determination, talent & a whole lot of luck!

klemgraphics

First off, you are on the right track as far as a computer, I run a 24" imac & it rocks for making signs, & as you well know,it just runs & runs, no fuss no muss, (there are 4 other Macs on my network & they all run the same) I run Parallels with windows xp to print on a VP 540, You can Command tab to any windows apps at will, Windows runs just like launching any program, they all show up in your dock. I would suggest getting your hands on Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop, & like previously mentioned, learn some design, one of the best ways is to get some type design books at the book store & also take pictures of vans & trucks you like & use those for reference when you design. As Mosh mentioned, you will struggle not having a full color outdoor printer in today's sign market, although you may find a good outsource partner, it will be a pain waiting for prints & there will be no room for error. You will have your hands full learning design, plotting graphics & installing all at once with no teacher, you will need a lot of determination, talent & a whole lot of luck!

Just got my 27" imac up and running today with parallels too. Hope it lives up to my expectations, I'm sick and tired of having problems with all my pc's. I do have to agree that a digital printer is almost a must have but definitely learn all you can about design and do whatever you can to set yourself apart from your competition...except giving your work away for free(or nearly free). Believe me if you do good work and provide good service the work will come but it does take some time to build up your customers unless you have a very high traffic location. Good Luck!