• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for opinions.

p3

I currently operate out of my house and am thinking about getting a store front office. It isn't a place for my equipment, but a place that would be a little more professional for people to come and discuss projects. Its in a decent location and is around $250 a month. Does anyone else operate like this or tried it out? Is it worth doing?

HulkSmash

I currently operate out of my house and am thinking about getting a store front office. It isn't a place for my equipment, but a place that would be a little more professional for people to come and discuss projects. Its in a decent location and is around $250 a month. Does anyone else operate like this or tried it out? Is it worth doing?

A place to meet? 250 a month is really cheap, if i went into a office and didn't see a printer, i'd think.....you were a broker.

Speedsterbeast

You may want to consider putting the $3,000 a year into your home to make it more hospitable or business like (I just finished putting laminate flooring, paint, blinds and a worlk table and chairs in my living room) and got rid of my TV. It looks like and office right through my front door, and it cost about a grand to do. Also, my house is nicer and I have no monthly payments.

Just something to think about

mikefine

Just remember, it is not $250.00. You'll need extra phone line, internet, heat, AC, trash collection, alarm, insurance, etc. etc. Call it $1250.00 when it is all said and done. Then you probably need another, what --$5,000 extra in sales to cover the $1250.00? That's a lot of meetings...

p3

power, internet and all that comes with the building. I already have another line, I would just have to transfer it over. it is a month to month deal. it was just a place so people didn't really have to come to my house. I figured it would help against people being curious and asking what everything is, especially with T-Shirts and slowing me down or just having the distractions of home when trying to do design stuff.

wildside

on the other hand.....

i will not walk into someones house to conduct business.......not very professional to me, i tried it a lot of years ago, and i hated people coming to the house and now i don't like to go to a house for business reasons, if your a business have a business address.....

i know i'll catch hell over this one too:covereyes:

WildWestDesigns

You may want to consider putting the $3,000 a year into your home to make it more hospitable or business like (I just finished putting laminate flooring, paint, blinds and a worlk table and chairs in my living room) and got rid of my TV. It looks like and office right through my front door, and it cost about a grand to do. Also, my house is nicer and I have no monthly payments.

Just something to think about

You have to make sure about the conditions of your home occupation permit as well(if you have to have one). I've done a few things for people that work out of their homes and I have found out that if "you" are in this particular city's limits, you can't have people over to conduct business. Only electronic/phone/mail communications (which is possible in today's world, don't have to meet in person for some things) are allowed. I know the city here was strict, but that is a little much I think. It would take complaints from the other residents to have that be an issue, but some permits don't allow for it.

p3

@WSGRAPHIX, thats exactly what I was thinking. But as someone stated, I would appear to be a broker rather than an actual sign shop. I would put my little cutter and have the rolls of regular vinyl, just no printer or screen printing in this facility. Just figured for a place for people to go and order stuff would be more professional.

Speedsterbeast

@WSGRAPHIX, thats exactly what I was thinking. But as someone stated, I would appear to be a broker rather than an actual sign shop. I would put my little cutter and have the rolls of regular vinyl, just no printer or screen printing in this facility. Just figured for a place for people to go and order stuff would be more professional.

I may be opening a can of worms but....

That would probably work just fine. Image is everything for credability and you'd probably gain enough with a little smoke and mirrors.

CheapVehicleWrap

Broker problem solved: On rear wall wrap mural with equipment or just a pic of a door with a clean room sign on it.

Work at home problem solved: Add Dr. in front of your name. Don't practice anything though...

HulkSmash

So will your office be like a, "By appointment only" ?

Or will you sit in your store front all day doing no actual production and then do it at home in the nights?

either way, you're going to hate to not have your equipment with you in the shop. Spend a few bucks more, and get a bigger place to put your equipment, and have a store front. Yeah you'll pay more... but you'll get much more business to cover those costs.

CheapVehicleWrap

Good point Colorado. In the upscale, prestigious, very expensive area where I be (or so they say) I can rent a top notch office for $300-500 a month for 10-20 hours in a large 15 story modern building complete with secretary phones, conference room etc. That's the way I'd go if it was a "by appointment". Of course you're not going to have any equipment that you can't carry...

genericname

on the other hand.....

i will not walk into someones house to conduct business.......not very professional to me, i tried it a lot of years ago, and i hated people coming to the house and now i don't like to go to a house for business reasons, if your a business have a business address.....

i know i'll catch hell over this one too:covereyes:

I'm on the same boat. The psychology of it goes further than the business owner and client as well. As a former employee of businesses run out of homes, I never felt like anything more than "the help", and always felt stressed about going to work, as if it weren't a real job. The expectation that I would help out with menial little tasks not directly associated with work, was too high as well.

Outside of my 9-5, I do screen printing out of my apartment (I know, I know!), and I will never have a client come by to discuss a job. I'm too small-time to afford a store-front or office space, so I will always opt to meet them at their workplace, or a coffee shop. In the end, they don't need to see my workspace, and going to them on my time, even on a limited schedule, makes me seem more flexible.

Last edited:

busypc

If you are in business, have a storefront. People don't like to go to someone's home. You'll NEVER have walkins. At some point in time you will need them!

Colin

If you are in business, have a storefront. People don't like to go to someone's home. You'll NEVER have walkins.

Gee I dunno, it's worked for me for 19 years. It depends on your setup, if it's truly in your house, where they enter through the front or back door, and walking through your personal space, then ya, that's a little weird, but I have 700 sq ft detached shop 20' from the house, so it is it's own entity.

One will always get more business with a commercial space, but the home gig can work if done right.

artbot

gear your business toward bigger clients if you can and go to their place of business instead. the better paying the client, the more likely they will expect you to work around their schedule. nothing better than just asking them what part of town they are in and what's their schedule. in most cases you will be able to make 3 to 5 appointments for a certain weekday and that will keep you slammed for the next week if not longer.

visual800

I operate out of home but I go to them. I refuse to have a commercial location! I dont need walk in work I go after the bigger stuff out there...as a matter of fact I have experience the walk-ins....HELL NO i want no part of that!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are quite a few ways of looking at this.

Remember, we started before computers, internet, cell phones and most other everyday things we all take for granted now, so the thinking process was much different back in the 70’s and 80’s

When we first really started aggressively going after customers, most of them said we were too small to handle their needs. Others looked at me and saw savings in their future with me. To get over the hurdle of looking too small, I made arrangements to go to their place of business for meetings and usually lettered trucks and fleets on-site. However, for the shocard people, signs not requiring installation and other small work, those people wanted to pick their stuff up…. and again, they were very surprised to see the kinda operation we were running. Once we got our first place of business, we picked a small back street, because I really didn’t want walk-ins. I figured anyone that wanted signs would call me first and then we could direct them how to get to our place. Remember, there was no internet, Craig’s list, e-bay or any other communication other than telephone, word of mouth or pounding the pavements…. heck, not even cordless phones, yet. Anyway, we didn’t want people coming in and wasting our time to letter a milk box or just asking stupid questions. We couldn’t afford to waste the time. Also, once having a place out of the home, we immediately started getting a much better type of clientele. Instead of friends, family and occasional business acquaintances, we attracted banks, store chains, larger real estate companies and…… malls were just starting to spring up here and there.

Our first shop was only around 800 square feet. When I opened it, I was solo. Within a year and a half, we were 7 people strong. All hand painters and some silk screening and an electrical guy. At any given time we were at least three months backed up. We banged this stuff out and got so back-logged we had to move into a 4,000 square foot shop. That one was also on a back street…. out of the normal view of passerby’s. We kept a low profile in the neighborhood, but for business, we were kicking some serious butt.

With today’s communications and various types of advertising, I don’t think you need a big shop, unless you want one. You can still fool all of your customers via e-mail and with computers, software and the many types of output and wholesalers; I would seriously re-think my plans of earlier years if I were younger. That’s not to say I’m sorry I did what I did….. I did what was the norm at the time. We didn’t have near the tools at our disposal, but we had to make ends meet. Some made it…. and some didn’t.

Again, I think it all depends on the type of clientele you’re seeking… or getting. If you have a small store front, the only draw back I see is, you’re gonna be putting a lot of extra time into work, unless you have someone else manning the store. Otherwise, you’ll be doing very little production during the day and working like crazy at night and on weekends. You’ll have far less time for your family…. or any kind of personal life.

Good luck in whatever you do……………. :thumb: