• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for PD photos to WOW customers

trakers

Hey,

The Mutoh is running well and I'm looking for some public domain hi-res source material to print for wall decorations to show the true potential of the machine.

The tech who trained me left me with some decent photos but they are only 72 DPI far, far below the capacity of the machine.

What I'm hoping for is some colorful scenes that will print at 54 inches at high DPI.

Nasa has some nice photos, but still far below what I'd like to find when printing at 54.

Anyone, Bueller, anyone?

trakers

Thanks for the quick repsonse. I'd looked through a couple of those sites earlier and never really found anything that was hi-res. Most were about what I could take with my own camera which looks good up to about 36" but starts falling apart after that.

Replicator

I have printed very large prints from the images obtained from those sites . . .

You can purchase different sizes when you check out and of course a little DPI adjusting never hurts !

Give one a shot, before you put the Kibosh on it . . . !

javila

You don't need anything higher than 100 ppi if you're gonna print something at 54" and see it from say 5-8 ft.

(Digital images don't have dots they have pixels)

Biker Scout

As a designer, you need to start to get into your process a method of obtaining high quality images. Also, you are buying the right to use them as well. Adjust your mindset and your workflow to always be willing to buy good stock.

You can start with www.sxc.hu for freebies first, but you will need to expand your image library to include such sites as Dreamstime and iStockPhoto. Just get used to the idea. It will bring your quality of work up too!

P

ProWraps™

Hey,

The Mutoh is running well and I'm looking for some public domain hi-res source material to print for wall decorations to show the true potential of the machine.

The tech who trained me left me with some decent photos but they are only 72 DPI far, far below the capacity of the machine.

What I'm hoping for is some colorful scenes that will print at 54 inches at high DPI.

Nasa has some nice photos, but still far below what I'd like to find when printing at 54.

Anyone, Bueller, anyone?

you clearly dont understand digital printing. your image resolution, and your print resolution are two completely different things.

Im not really into paying for photos but I'm gonna try the free ones, thanks again.

you dont want to pay $5-$15 to buy a print and the right to use it? wow. quit while your ahead.

Biker Scout

But you want customers to pay you up to 10 times that much if you print it, right?

Create one yourself for free, or pay for the rights to use large, beautiful images.
If it's self created content, you can then turn around and sell them yourself!
www.BigStockPhoto.com pays the highest royalities to the photographer anytime
someone downloads from them... just something to think about.

I've sold stuff on there, you can and will make money doing it.

For you to buy a picture at BigStockPhoto is only about a $1 depending on the image.

Biker Scout

Actually, PM me and I will e-mail you some of my photos for you to print. No charge. Some are b/w, which will help you establish a good b/w profile.

I would just like a print mailed back to me.

trakers

Thanks for all the replies.

"You don't need anything higher than 100 ppi if you're gonna print something at 54" and see it from say 5-8 ft."

I agree, the ones I've printed look pretty good, just wanted a few that can show the full potential of the machine at close range. I think NASA and JPL are going to be good sources.

"you clearly dont understand digital printing. your image resolution, and your print resolution are two completely different things."

Heh, I won't argue that. I'm learning as fast as I can. I've only had the printer running for 4 days now. I learning all I can as fast as I can.

"As a designer, you need to start to get into your process a method of obtaining high quality images."

That is on the agenda. Been researching a nice Digital SLR to generate images. I used to shoot a lot of film, developing my own prints at one time. The P&S I have now is adequate for normal sized outputs but the huge posters I want to print moving forward will require better input material.

"For you to buy a picture at BigStockPhoto is only about a $1 depending on the image."

Nice site. It looks like if you want to prepay $300 upfront and use the lowest quality images then $1 is true, but if you want to do onesees and have the best image quality it is more like $15 a pop. Looks like a good source though.

Pat Whatley

$20 for a professionally shot, high-resolution, color corrected image that looks great is too much for you to spend? Are you serious?

Replicator

It is well worth paying for great quality royalty free images if you cannot find them for free . . .

Get used to it !

Biker Scout

If you invest in a program like, Genuine Fractals, it really doesn't matter how small the photos are.

For example, when I purchase a photo off of iStockPhoto, the larger photo sizes can be upwards of $15 - $20 each. However, I only purchase the $6 ones. If a photo is selling at a medium resolution for less than half, I always get that one. I don't buy the smallest one either.

Because I know that I will run whatever photo through Genuine Fractals before I print it for crisp enlargements.

I've never printed anything higher than 200 dpi. That's probably more image information than I need with my Mutoh, but it's just fine. 300 dpi image takes about 40 minutes longer to rip. Remember, dpi isn't the same as ppi, unless you are printing in line screen, like on a press.