• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for printing advice

Oso

Hello all,

Thank you in advance. I am looking to get into print design mainly for vehicle wraps. coming from a webdesign background I have a decent experience with in graphic design but never with printing in mind. I work in PS CS6 and IL CS6. I have a good understanding of the scaling and design processes but I can't seem to find much information on the process of breaking up the design to be print ready.

I came across Onyx SmartApps Wehicle Wraps Plug-in which seems like a great option but apparently it has been discontinued.

Any advice or push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

player

Some people buy vehicle templates and use those to design and print from. I would recommend always checking the measurements against the actual vehicle.

You will need a large format printer and a software RIP to enlarge the prints and drive the printer.

A laminator will also be required, after printing you will want to cover the prints with a clear laminate.

Oso

Ya I got that part down. The person that would like me to do designs for them is using a HP Latex 310. What I meant is that once I have the design done on the vehicle mock up and ready to print how do you split it to print on the separate panels. I've been able to find little to no information on this. Thank You

2B

there is no set template, each vehicle is a different size and shape.
You have to look at the vehicle and decide what is best, keeping in mind the printers capabilities and the installers knowledge / experience

there are a couple of guidelines to follow

• Most wrap vinyl & laminate comes in 54" width with a realistic imprint area of 52"
  • you want to have the seams "splits" appear in the natural locations on the vehicle
    [*=1]door jams, hood / trunk creases, fender seams, etc...
  • The vehicle will decide if you do a vertical or horizontal layout
    • box truck, trailer, etc... are done with vertical panels
    • cars, smaller vehicles, etc... are done with horizontal panels

Asuma01

Who will be installing the vinyl? Ask the installer how they like to get their prints and what works best for the install.
Make sure you build in at least 3 inches of bleed.