• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking to buy Graphtec Cutter need some advice

redmondcopy

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a Graphtec or Vinyl Express cutter soon and had some questions. Most likely be trying to find a used one to save some money.

1. I need it to be able to do contour cutting. How old of a model still has the ARMS feature.

2. What do people do if they get a 24" plotter as I don't see 24" digital media? Do they buy 48" and have it cut in half? :help
3. Is there really much difference Between the Graphtec and Vinyl Express.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Grant

Pro Image

If you cant find 24in media your not looking in the right place or not looking at all........

www.fellers.com

Go with the a Graphtec if you can find one........CE-5000's have the ARMS sensor on them I think.........

JAMEY

I don't know much about printing media but I got a new 24" FC8000. It cuts like a champ. Impressive machine. Their support sucks though. I called them once and never got a call back.

Jackpine

With a CE series you will be able to contour cut 22" max. This could be 95% of what you print. If you need a larger cutter I would get a CE series 48". many suppliers will cut a 54" roll to 24" and 30". You can print on 24" cut vinyl also.
falcon outdoor

jiarby

I have a 24" CE5000-20... and a 64" Mutoh 1604 Printer.

For contour cut decals I lay everything out on a 60" roll that I cut into 24" wide sheets.... so I am contour cutting a 24" piece that is 60" long. It has been a PITA now and then but not enough to make me want to get a 60" cutter ($$$)

Jack's right & wrong... if you are contour cutting you have to allow room for the friction wheels on each side (1" each AND also for the registration marks) We try to keep actual art at 20". Nothing worse than printing, laminating, then finding out your reg marks are under the wheels!

Jackpine

Jack's right & wrong... if you are contour cutting you have to allow room for the friction wheels on each side (1" each AND also for the registration marks) We try to keep actual art at 20". Nothing worse than printing, laminating, then finding out your reg marks are under the wheels!

22" is where the outside reg marks are..... the image or images are inside that area. If your cutter reads "registration marks are 22" or less you will be fine. I also move the print off the edge in my RIP to 1" or 1.25" to give the first roller a bit more room. I have been doing this with a CE3000Mk2 for the last 4 years with great results. In a perfect world you need 1/2" from each edges to contour cut a 23" cut x whatever. It has been done.