• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

looking to get a printer ?

dakotasignwerks

i am currently looking at getting an entry level printer so i can start doing most of my digital work myself. i am having troubles deciding which route to go with. here are some basic concerns/questions regarding getting into it:

----what type of system is best for all around durability?

------should i look at an all-in-one print/cut system or separate units as i dont believe my current roland camm-1 300x will do the cutting of the digital.

----- which brands are easier for the entry level users to operate and learn on?

i currently am using corel draw x3 and signmate express for my cutting and would like a system compatible with it to start with. until the learning curve is getting easier.

sorry for being so long winded, but this is a huge investment and i dont want to do it over and over.

also, i aint looking for "brand endorsement" just for opinions and info or even where to look. (yes i have read almost every post i thought was relevant to this; here at sign101......love it!!)

thanks all for your time
randy

Poconopete

What is your target market? Do you want to do wraps or sell "stickers" to your lawn mower mechanic?
Is this a full time venture? will you be printing on a daily basis? or will the printer sit idle for a week(s) at a time?

dakotasignwerks

well i am looking to get into banners, full color logos(instead of cut vinyl) not sure if wraps is the area i want to move; and it is a full time business now. hopefully, the printer will run most days, but may be idle for short periods of time. we do a lot of straight vinyl now and are noticing the NEED to go digital. we currently farm ALL our digital out and dont know if our current volume justifies purchasing, but that is why i am weighing all my options now.

hopefully this will help me get the info needed, if not i guess i will keep pluggin away!

thanks

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Welcome: from PA..........
Corel, although may not be the choice of many will certainly work for you with almost any printer/cutter on the market.

The new Summa 30” printer/cutter is looking good at about $13,000. You don’t need a laminator for it if you listen to their advertising, but it’s my opinion that most things should eventually be laminated….. maybe not banners.

The 30” Roland VersaCamm is just as good for the same basic price and will be cheaper per square foot and much faster. It comes with its own rip software.

Then you step up to the 54” printers and cutters and you’re in the $20,000 range. It only goes higher from there.

Since you already have a plotter.... think hard about an all-in-one system rather than a piggyback set up. It helps real estate wise and compatibility-wise..... and even cost.

Stay thermal or Eco-Solvent inks and it won’t matter if you don’t run the machine as often and you won’t waste precisions materials priming and cleaning all the time.

My real advice would be to go to a few Sign Shows and watch demonstrations of every type on the market. Listen to only half of what the salespeople tell you and throw the other half out the window. They’re only trying to sell their own product and aren’t looking out for your best interests…. unless they happen to sell all the machines you’re interested in buying. Take your findings home and find dealers close to you that sell those brands. Take files to them and have them demonstrate them in person for you. Be strong and make a deal you’re willing to walk away from..... and buy the best one you can afford.

Remember, they all sell equipment and are in it for the long haul…. so make a deal that includes great tech support throughout your ownership of the machine. Service after the buy is truly essential and will help you far more than getting a free roll of this of that upfront.

Good Luck……………….​

Wowee18

I worked at a "big name sign shop" that, believe it or not, opened with just a 12" plotter and EDGE. Not sure how but they survived on that set-up for 4 years. Took me 2 years to convince the owner that we needed an actual printer. I'm sure it was the best decision he ever made. Cheaper materials, reduces production times drastically, and we could stop throwing away money subbing out all our prints and oversized projects. If you get the right machine, you won't be doing much straight vinyl at all anymore.

steveo

i heard the hp z3100 is good and no need for lamination and the prints stays 200 years
it will not cost anything to check it

dakotasignwerks

i heard the hp z3100 is good and no need for lamination and the prints stays 200 years
it will not cost anything to check it

hmmmmm.........doesnt do outdoor work? not the one i am looking for. if i needed a photocopier so to speak that sounds like the ticket. looking to be able to print ON banners and stuff. not just paper.

thanks though!