• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lowballers!! Aaarrgh!!!

OldPaint

i belive you have to separate this industry into
1. SIGN SHOPS with printers
2. PRINTERS who make signs.
to go further, outa those 2 you break it down to artist vs business.
ARTISTS, do this job because they love the creativity it provides, and making a living doing what you love is a by product.
BUSINESS people see it as a quick buck, money in money out. so they dont care what the final product is as long its keeping the machine that makes money running.
SO...outa these 2, artist want to get paid for thier "talent", the businessman just WANTS PAID, a little profit and not having the machine sit idle.
now who is which?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, now this is starting to go the way I expected it to go.
I wanted to jump in this sooner with these thoughts, but didn’t want to be accused for taking it down this path.

You all want to charge for your design fee, custom tailored effects, phonebook ads, grommeting, knowledge, terminology of advertising rather than a banner, commodity items, cheapness of certain products compared to other items, subbing out, in-house and the list goes on.

Y’all want your customers to realize all of this and respect what you have into this, however, all I ever read on this site and others just like it is….. how can I get cheaper and cheaper banner material, vinyl, pvc, MOD, inks, free images hacked software, cheaper and faster ways of producing prints by only squeaking by with performance made…..how to do it, how do I, how do I get cheaper and cheaper and still demand the respect and loyalty of MY customers…. when I don’t do it for my vendors, my own equipment and supplies ??

What DRamm said is likewise sad. He’s admitting to selling to our customers because we have convinced enough end-users with incredible bank accounts, it’s easier to go out, buy some machines, software and steal an employee from your sign shop and do this stuff in-house.

I used to get pissed off when I heard the distributors were selling to my customers, but it’s not their fault….. most of you blabbering off your mouth gets back to these end-users and they come here acting as big companies with art departments and looking for help and you want to sign them up as some of the big boys… when in fact, they might’ve been ABC’s biggest customer up until three weeks ago. They just might be testing the waters before costing another sign shop USA their nicest account.

So, you want to complain about low prices from your competition, but your real problem is keeping customers for reasons you probably gave away the farm already and didn’t realize it.

For instance….. customer comes to you and says… hey, XYZ sign shop told me your price of $10 a square foot is high, that he can do it for $8.50. So you match it thinking it’s still pretty good numbers. Four months go by and they come to you again about a discrepancy in a bill and you explain that you need to make something. They pay and go away. Now they know you are still making money, but you can budge if need be, so they start investigating because they spend upwards of $150,000 a year with you. Knowing that out of your little garage and you and one other guy are doing all the work, they do the math and figure, well til Sparky here gets his material, does the work and makes a profit, we could probably cut our own costs of $150,00 a year at least in half, if not more. Let’s call DRamm and see how much these things cost ?? Get all the information on equipment, material costs and bing-boda-boom… they compute it all out and for less than ½ of one year’s investment, they could not only cut their costs in by almost a 1/3, they could increase their advertisements and stretch their advertising dollars out in the first year and still be ahead of the game. Someone drops the s101 bomb on them along the way or they just google and it pops up, they’re in and we are instantly educating our own customers…. or someone that has just lost one of the eggs in their basket. You see this long enough, you’ll start losing more eggs/customers this way, you’ll see why it’s tough to stomach the shannigins that go on in the real world and not this make believe crap the vast majority of you want to believe.

I know this to be a fact, because I know of at least one that has been a member here a long time. I’m not sure, but I think they were a member before I got here. They just don’t post much. They just sit back, listen and take good notes.

ucmj22

I wanted to jump in this sooner with these thoughts, but didn’t want to be accused for taking it down this path.

You all want to charge for your design fee, custom tailored effects, phonebook ads, grommeting, knowledge, terminology of advertising rather than a banner, commodity items, cheapness of certain products compared to other items, subbing out, in-house and the list goes on.

Y’all want your customers to realize all of this and respect what you have into this, however, all I ever read on this site and others just like it is….. how can I get cheaper and cheaper banner material, vinyl, pvc, MOD, inks, free images hacked software, cheaper and faster ways of producing prints by only squeaking by with performance made…..how to do it, how do I, how do I get cheaper and cheaper and still demand the respect and loyalty of MY customers…. when I don’t do it for my vendors, my own equipment and supplies ??

What DRamm said is likewise sad. He’s admitting to selling to our customers because we have convinced enough end-users with incredible bank accounts, it’s easier to go out, buy some machines, software and steal an employee from your sign shop and do this stuff in-house.

I used to get pissed off when I heard the distributors were selling to my customers, but it’s not their fault….. most of you blabbering off your mouth gets back to these end-users and they come here acting as big companies with art departments and looking for help and you want to sign them up as some of the big boys… when in fact, they might’ve been ABC’s biggest customer up until three weeks ago. They just might be testing the waters before costing another sign shop USA their nicest account.

So, you want to complain about low prices from your competition, but your real problem is keeping customers for reasons you probably gave away the farm already and didn’t realize it.

For instance….. customer comes to you and says… hey, XYZ sign shop told me your price of $10 a square foot is high, that he can do it for $8.50. So you match it thinking it’s still pretty good numbers. Four months go by and they come to you again about a discrepancy in a bill and you explain that you need to make something. They pay and go away. Now they know you are still making money, but you can budge if need be, so they start investigating because they spend upwards of $150,000 a year with you. Knowing that out of your little garage and you and one other guy are doing all the work, they do the math and figure, well til Sparky here gets his material, does the work and makes a profit, we could probably cut our own costs of $150,00 a year at least in half, if not more. Let’s call DRamm and see how much these things cost ?? Get all the information on equipment, material costs and bing-boda-boom… they compute it all out and for less than ½ of one year’s investment, they could not only cut their costs in by almost a 1/3, they could increase their advertisements and stretch their advertising dollars out in the first year and still be ahead of the game. Someone drops the s101 bomb on them along the way or they just google and it pops up, they’re in and we are instantly educating our own customers…. or someone that has just lost one of the eggs in their basket. You see this long enough, you’ll start losing more eggs/customers this way, you’ll see why it’s tough to stomach the shannigins that go on in the real world and not this make believe crap the vast majority of you want to believe.

I know this to be a fact, because I know of at least one that has been a member here a long time. I’m not sure, but I think they were a member before I got here. They just don’t post much. They just sit back, listen and take good notes.

To get 2 qualified employees to design and manufacture signs, it will cost a company between 60 & 80K a year including all payroll aspects, with some benefit packages it can be more, add that to equipment, material and space and a company might consider making the jump if they are spending 250K retail. The bottom line is, any company that is spending that much on signage consistently would be stupid not to at least consider opening their own sign division. Hell, the owner here was only spending about 10k a year, and he did it.

mopar691

I totally agree with Gino when he says "Someone drops the s101 bomb on them along the way or they just google and it pops up, they’re in and we are instantly educating our own customers…."

This is so true across any sign forums as so many talk straight up pricing, costs, markup, wholesalers, etc. Not only customers but every one who thinks spending 700 bucks will open them up a sign shop.

Dave Drane

One of the most valuable lessons I learned early on in this business was from an 80 year old sign painter back in 1974. "If you're gonna work for nothing, you might as well go fishing."

I also had a client who was a self made millionaire, and he told me the reason I was so busy all the time was because I wasn't charging enough. He was right to a degree. I doubled my prices that year and it made no difference. I was still just as busy but making two times the money from before.

There is no shame in making money or profit. That is the point of being in business. Those that don't make a profit with go out in flames or burn out from too much work for too little money.

There are two arts in the business. The art of designing and the art of making money. Learn both!!!

The same thing basically happened to me too. I took my big ad out of yellow pages and it made no diifference too except it got rid of tire kickers!

Redz Signs Inc.

:goodpost:

DRamm76

And so the revolution begins....thank you Gino

They come to me yes, and it isnt our fault. We get blamed sure but unfortunately if they are coming to us, one needs to step back and ask why??

I dont know when we started believing cheap materials,cheap inks, cheap printers would all lead to HIGH profits...but we need to all wake up and start looking at the quality of our work and focus on standing firm on our prices.

I dont get on a soapbox about 3rd party ink becuz I think you should only buy Roland ink from me..I do it because it DOES cause issues. I would rather see you buy roland ink from another dealer than 3rd party. People who use it, lets face it and call a spade a spade, bought it because its cheaper. They can swear by it based on how it works in THEIR printer. We see hundreds of printers a year as service techs. Not just one. And statistics (and forums) tend to.speak for themselves. Everyone will swear by it until THeY have the issue.

But thats another day. The moral. Work smart...charge smart..live smart. There is no other alternative

Dave Drane

They are here. Ultra cheap banners are sold here and printed in Asia for peanuts.

Trying to compete with this business model is futile.
Compete on service and quality, not just price.

"I love banners" ?? Used them once only.. utter crap and could not communicate with them.

GVP

I'm still trying to figure out how we got to this point. For inst. you can buy pretty much any plumbing component you want from the local hardware giant, yet I don't see plumbers slashing their rates. And certainly in this area, all the ones I know are busy as heck. Is their 'trade' knowledge any more significant than ours - yet sign people continue to work for less and less. Heck, they'll charge you even if they can't fix your problem - yet here, we see people giving away artwork for free and producing the work for next to nothing. It's madness, I tell you - madness... You know, Bob is right - signs are a commodity, but only because we've let them become so.

beckys

back in the day, we used to charge 12-18 sq' per banner. I can't tell you the last time I made a banner...for that price.
or charge 30 per scan of their image, cleaning up, or god forbid, hand cut it!!!
those were the good ol' days!!

Bly

"I love banners" ?? Used them once only.. utter crap and could not communicate with them.

There are a couple of places that do this mate.

Those of us who speak English as a first language are already in front in customer relations.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I work with a majority of the retail sign shops in my locality....and Ive come to a really nice conclusion...that we can all make a buck without lowballing one another here. Ive had John Q Public walk in...and Ive referred them to the person who I though would be best to get the job done right. MOST of the time, it comes back to me anyway....they make a $$ and I do to for producing it for them. Win-win situation. I know there are some people who call themselves wholesalers who wouldn't think of turning the work away like that.
My belief is this....I would rather serve the (so called??) PROFESSIONALS in this industry IE those who generally deal with the public instead of me catering to Mr and Mrs JQ Public myself.

jimmysigns

I had a customer come in today and ask for a price on a 3' x 6' banner, I gave her a price of 110.00. she said wow your expensive, I got a price of $15.00 on the internet, can you show me the material they will be using? :omg:
my response was.... so you got a price of $15.00 and your still shopping around?
yikes!

Mosh

AAAHH banners are not sandblasted signs...BTW it is not the 80's, I have not even been asked about a sandblasted sign in 15 years (I even have a cool one in our shop) The point is there are a million people doing banners, so there is NO WAY you will ever be the lowest price, the key is to be the BEST VALUE....service, design and LOW PRICE....banners are banners. We do not do porseline sign either...more to come...I am done farming so be ready!

3x6 banner full color $60 all day long!!! and I even get out priced, the key is I do 20-30 of those a day....

OldPaint

and younz wonder why iam moving to POTTERY?????
went to our big art show here in pensacola last weekend. i just wanted to see what prices for "utilitarian" pottery was going for.
coffee mug $18-$30 each cost to produce clay, glaze, and electric for 2 firings.....maybe $5!!!!!!
small casserole dish 10"-11" overall $40-$70, again cost to produce under $5 as most individual piece in clay would be.
large salad bowl $125
now for the "ART" pieces. $300-500..........and the still cost the same as the above pieces.
not a cheap business to get into, but better then printing, where the equipment & material costs are high and you are charging LESS FOR PRODUCT PRODUCED. kilns and pottery wheels are serious monies......BUT LAST WAY BEYOND payoff date. and clay is , pardon the pun DIRT CHEAP!!!Hahahahahahahahaha

Speedsterbeast

My guess is that his/her overhead is lower. If they have been in business for four years they are obviuosly making a living at it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
With all the old timers chiming in I thought this thread was about the ravages of aging and the need for more "support" as one gets older....

wayne k
guam usa