• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

make flat paint glossy (glossier)

SignosaurusRex

There are no additives that I know of to effectively turn a flat finish paint into a gloss. There are some work-arounds to get it to a Satin finish ...depending on type of paint you are using. What type?

threeputt

Flat exterior house paint. (latex)

Someone has suggested (on the web) that adding some water-based polyurethane will bring it up to a satin or semi-gloss sheen. I do have some of that in a one gallon can. Have about 5 gallons of flat paint.

Your comments? Or what is your workaround?

TimToad

Coat everything after its painted with a gloss acrylic clear?

It seems to be the only way to do it and not completely lose your opacity by adding essentially a clear liquid to your paint in a quantity large enough to make a difference in the sheen.

SignosaurusRex

Flat exterior house paint. (latex)

Someone has suggested (on the web) that adding some water-based polyurethane will bring it up to a satin or semi-gloss sheen. I do have some of that in a one gallon can. Have about 5 gallons of flat paint.

Your comments? Or what is your workaround?

What level of sheen would you like to achieve. If you are looking for a gloss finish in the end? As Tim said, you can give it a final coat with clear gloss. Adding clear gloss to the flat will work if you are looking for a satin fish. The ratio of gloss to flat mix depends on the level of sheen desired.

TimToad

Just remember that whatever liquid you add to the paint if clear, will dilute your opacity and probably add more coats to the process than simply painting a clear over the dry paint.

threeputt

Ok, I get that I may end up with a less opaque paint. Painting a gloss clear over the paint isn't an option. It's the front of my house. I've got 5 gallons of paint left from the last paint job, but the front faces south and west and really takes a beating in the summer. I thought if I could add a gallon to the five gallons I could end up with a slightly gloss finish. A satin would be good. Do you think the polyurethane will work?

The color is a muddy beige so it should cover the existing color pretty well. No?

OldPaint

AND your thinkin that by getting it to a glossy finish........it wont fade as fast????
WRONG.......fading has to do with the pigment in the paint and its exposure to UV light. gloss, satin or flat....ITS GONA FADE....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure I'm qualified to say this, but the only way I know of is to use a gloss paint of the same kind and box all of your cans together. If it's not boxed well, you will have patchy areas, which outside might not be seen anyway. Remember, adding 1 gallon to another gallon is a very small ratio and when adding it to 5 gallons, it will practically be next to nothing. You might be better off just getting the sheen you want in the color you want and use the old paint on something else. One thing you don't wanna do is to hafta do this over in a year or two, cause you cut some corners. Adding some Flotrol will give a little extra sheen, but not much.

Good luck on that one :rock-n-roll:

edit : for Old Paint's comment, you're right it won't fade any faster or slower, but flat paint will chalk out far faster vs. when using paints with varying degrees of gloss/satin..... far faster.​

threeputt

AND your thinkin that by getting it to a glossy finish........it wont fade as fast????
WRONG.......fading has to do with the pigment in the paint and its exposure to UV light. gloss, satin or flat....ITS GONA FADE....

No, I'm not concerned with fading. I want a slight "glint" to the paint. I've been looking closer at homes that have painted siding on them like mine and I think the satin look is much more attractive to my eye.

I've owned this house 27 years and painted it twice in that time. Getting it ready for sale in the next 24 months or so (tired of the constant maintenance and yard work) Going to buy a nice condo. And downsize, don't need the sq. footage anymore.

So what I've done is purchased two gallons of semi-gloss paint of the identical color and I'm going to box it (yes I know what that means) with the two gallons of flat that I have and hope for a satin finish.

I'll paint one side of the house with the 4 gallons. The south side takes a beating and that's the front of the house.

SignosaurusRex

If the brand you are using has a high clay base, I would add the 1 gallon of gloss that you have. I'm betting it has a high clay base unless it is Behr Paint.

threeputt

Actually the paint if from Lowes. It's not their cheapest, it's their best! Paid $40.00 per gallon for it. Boxed them Saturday and painted a small section. Going home tonite to see it in daylight. If it's not glossy enough (just want a satin that's all) I'll add yet another gallon of the semi-gloss.

So thanks all of you for the advice. I'm on it!