• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Make your own cleaning solution?

jhanson

And for anyone worried about screwing up their machines with a mixed (or non-OEM) flush solution, the first test I always run is a drop dispersion test. Fill a shotglass (or other suitable small container) with the flush in question and drip a single drop of ink into it. Let it sit for 1 hour or so and check it.

The ideal you want is a solution of lightly colored liquid with a minimum of settling. You can stir gently with a toothpick if you want to check. If you see little threads of color in the solution, then don't use it -- it will coagulate your ink and cause more problems.

Now, that doesn't cover chemical compatibility with the machine components -- but long story short, if you're using a solvent machine that's newer than the FJ-50 / Falcon Outdoor era, most of the plastics should be polypropylene or polyethylene and resistant to everything up to mild solvent. So the chemical suggestions in here are OK as far as the plastics go.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And for anyone worried about screwing up their machines with a mixed (or non-OEM) flush solution, the first test I always run is a drop dispersion test. Fill a shotglass (or other suitable small container) with the flush in question and drip a single drop of ink into it. Let it sit for 1 hour or so and check it.

The ideal you want is a solution of lightly colored liquid with a minimum of settling. You can stir gently with a toothpick if you want to check. If you see little threads of color in the solution, then don't use it -- it will coagulate your ink and cause more problems.

Now, that doesn't cover chemical compatibility with the machine components -- but long story short, if you're using a solvent machine that's newer than the FJ-50 / Falcon Outdoor era, most of the plastics should be polypropylene or polyethylene and resistant to everything up to mild solvent. So the chemical suggestions in here are OK as far as the plastics go.

Seriously ?? :thumb:

You are so sure of yourself that you will back your findings by replacing anyone's machine that uses your recipe or notes that goes bad, regardless of what is at fault. Way to go. :cool1: Yuda man :rock-n-roll:

jhanson

Seriously ?? :thumb:

You are so sure of yourself that you will back your findings by replacing anyone's machine that uses your recipe or notes that goes bad, regardless of what is at fault. Way to go. :cool1: Yuda man :rock-n-roll:
Heh. I'm not the one posting ratios of butyl cellosolve, butyl carbitol, and acetone... I've just had a lot of experience with testing inks and finding out (often the hard way) what chemicals are not compatible. So that was one of my tricks to check for compatibility BEFORE I introduced the chemical into the machine...