• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making a outline solid problem

J

john1

Hey guys, For some reason on this script font only, I am having a huge problem coverting it to a solid shape for cut vinyl.

When i go to create object out of it it separates the outline but then when i go to break apart i get this weird triangle shape through it. Doesn't happen on any other fonts i try to do this on but this one is for a job that was approved and i can't get it to work right.

Any tips? Using Corel x6

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 105

rjssigns

Not familiar with Corel6 but there may be a problem with overlapping paths that were not merged/welded, or merged/welded incorrectly by the software.
It may be seeing some errant node and that is how it deals with it. Have seen this in Flexi and Ai on rare occasions.

J Hill Designs

I see that in corel on occasion. some fonts were created badly, with points that screw up when contoured - this is when I bring it into omega and use outline there...I have no help if you dont have omega...but I would try any other vector software you have...

btw how are you making it? contour, or convert outline to object?

J

john1

Trying covert outline to object.

I don't have any other vector software.

Thanks!

J

john1

Well, fixed my problem.

Used contour and it works great!

Thanks guys, I was reminded i could use contour :)

idsignsil

If you are using the outline tool it will do that on some fonts. If you use the contour tool and do outlines with it, you will get solid outlines, then making it much easier for contour cutting. A little tip...after you use the Contour Tool (I think it is ctrl+F9, or under window, dockers) select you new outline and go to Arrange, then Break Contour Group Apart. I have found if you don't do this, when you go to scale it, it will not scale properly. (Keep in mind that this is all in X5, I am waiting on my X6 disk to arrive, but I would think it should be the same.) Hope this helps.

Ahh man...I took 1 min to long typing, oh well

J

john1

Thanks Chad, Got it!

I have started using Corel as of the past few weeks and am loving it.

royster13

Sometimes I find it easier to convert to bitmap (quite large) and then Live Trace back into vector....Not as good a file as if you keep it vector all along but for some projects it works just fine.....

Roto

Hey guys, For some reason on this script font only, I am having a huge problem coverting it to a solid shape for cut vinyl.

When i go to create object out of it it separates the outline but then when i go to break apart i get this weird triangle shape through it. Doesn't happen on any other fonts i try to do this on but this one is for a job that was approved and i can't get it to work right.

Any tips? Using Corel x6

Yes some fonts don't take kindly to being converted to curves.

I have used the smart fill tool on this sort of text and it fixes the problem.
Roto

wildside

trick i have learned, is when sometimes even when you use the contour feature it will say weird stuff like contour is too big or something like that, or even the infamous, all but 1 letter in the group outlines, which is fricken weird...

anyway, back to the trick, try outlining whatever it is at .001, then go and outline that too whatever you want, for some reason, the .001 gets past whatever is glitching it in the first place, sometimes you have to do it to the inside instead of the outside - this is with the contour tool