• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Many Questions! Channel Letter installation

rcubed

Hi, I looking for some advice on installing lighted channel letters on the outside of a building. I have never installed a wired sign and I am not sure where to start. I'm sure there are alot of questions I'm not thinking to ask. Thank you in advance.

player

What do you have for letters? Size? Lighting? Style? Through wall? What is the building made of? How high up? Power source? Etc...

GB2

Old Member
You didn't ask any questions.....the first one you should ask is, Do I need an electrical license to do this kind of work?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Licensed...... ?? How 'bout insured ??

How can someone obtain a proper permit to do something they've never done before ??

Hey Honey, I'm going to the hospital today for an appendectomy.
I didn't know yours was hurting.......

It's not, but I heard ya can make some good bucks actually performing this routine operation. All ya need is a mask and some gloves....... :rolleyes:

fresh

If you ask any channel letter manufacturer, they all say "This is the easiest thing in the world!!" and "TRUST US, YOU CAN DO IT!" "WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU!" So then you order the signs from them, and as soon as the check clears they are done with you, they don't care about all your installation issues. Guess how I know?

Here's the thing, installing the cans is easy. If you have installed other signs on buildings, you should be able to get the actual sign up using the same methods and materials as you've done in the past. Raceways are very simple to install, less holes to drill. You might need a sealed engineer drawing to get a building permit, but whoever made the channel letters should be able to provide that to you. If not, there are engineers that specifically do sign drawings for a reasonable fee.

Actually lighting up the sign is the bigger issue. You absolutely need a licensed electrician to do the electrical hook up. If you can find an electrician with a bucket truck, see if you can sub the entire thing out to them, including permits.