• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matching Historic Racecar Flames

I may be duplicating this card numbersfor a customer. Its a famous Nascar Modified of the late Ray Hedrick. It will be going on a Legends Car (a Replica 5/8 Scale racecar with fiberglass body, tube chassis, Coil Over suspsnsion, 150 HP 1200 CC Yamaha. Minuim,Car and Driver weight is 1300Lbs on a stree legel radial) They are really awsome racecars. check them out at uslegendscars.com

Any-how, I may need to duplicate the Flames in the wings. Im not sure if I want to have a buddy paint/airbrush these on on say red vinyl with yellow and orange paint and then laminate and apply, or if I should try to re-create the Flame effect in Photshop and print. What are you thoughts on each. And does anyone have any tips for re-creating in Photshop. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 11Hendrick.jpg
    11Hendrick.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 123

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the original was done with first painting the white circle and then the wing effect. No air brushing was involved with that picture. Took too much time for that trick. Next, it appears to be a 'Dry-Brush' technique with random strokes all over the place, but in a uniform direction, just some heavier than others. After the dry brush was done, he probably did the outlines on the numbers. A lota race car painters, used a lota Jap drier to hasten the dry time, so they could add second and third colors.

Duplicating it by hand would be much easier, but you can probably do it with computer skills if your hand skills aren't all that good.

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of Brush Strokes too. My buddy is a awsome painter/ artist. so i may just let him paint it for me, The many years of cars all had slightly diffrent flames but all of similar fashion.